Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,496   Online: 872

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think it's gorgeous. It's a distillation of a lot of what I see as Penn's obsessions: textures, masks, art as expressed by primitive man, art as a primal instinct to express oneself.

I wonder if he's made one of his superb platinum prints of this image. This is certainly a good candidate for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All beauty treatments make you look incredibly ugly when you're having them done.....However, I was particulary disturbed because the lack of any eyes. It looks hollow, empty and yet the wisps of curls indicated a woman is there. I'm not sure I like it at all. Who would hang this on their wall??
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The photograph is intriguing, but as hard as I look at it, I cannot see that there actually is a face behind the mask. I think it is just the mask itself.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh course, he could have just been in the mood for a laugh and had some sacking, a mannequin head and some oil paints laying around...

Cheers, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I found it interesting because it reminded me of many of the tribal masks worn by native peoples he photographed in the 50s and 60s. I simply liked the texture of the mask (looks almost like burlap) and the smoothness of the "mud" that Penn probably added to define a mouth and nose. Its that wonderful texture and hollow eye sockets (and whispy bits of hair?) that makes it interesting.

If you look at his work with Aboriginal peoples, masks and such adornments wree considered beautiful and a sign of status and position in the group.
    Here we see the mask as an ugly artifact that somehow will metamorphasize the person underneath. This mask is designed facilitate covering up something (self percieved ugliness?). Aboriginal masks project an inner personna of the person wearing it. Two different cultures and two different ways to look at masks, hiding something or projecting something.
    I agree with this.

A further exploration with masks and everything they imply.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    The photograph is intriguing, but as hard as I look at it, I cannot see that there actually is a face behind the mask. I think it is just the mask itself.

Matt
    Yes, but somehow I feel that it is a masculine mask. I can't imagine anything feminine behind it at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin