Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,360   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Marc Riboud; Eiffel Tower painter.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...UTF-8%26sa%3DN

Hi Folks,

This picture is one of my personal all time favorites, always reminds me of Stan Laurel for some reason... Dont know why??? Always makes me smile !!
    Hope some of you like it too ?

Regards, John.

Images
    It's a masterpiece. I couldn't afford a real print, so a poster of this wonderful image hangs on my living room wall (between posters of Ronis' nude at the wash basin, and Man Ray's Violin d'Inges). Thanks for posting it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It made me laugh. I really like it, but wonder is he really a painter or was he posing? How high up were they. Lots of questions, no answers.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Stan Laurel, Buster Keaton, what a great picture.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    It made me laugh. I really like it, but wonder is he really a painter or was he posing? How high up were they. Lots of questions, no answers.
    Apparently this was not posed. Riboud just saw the guy doing his very dangerous job in a completely noncholant manner, cigarette in mouth and not a care in the world.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg
    Apparently this was not posed. Riboud just saw the guy doing his very dangerous job in a completely noncholant manner, cigarette in mouth and not a care in the world.
    Could be - but these kinds of pics were very popular in the '20's and '30's and relied on using unusual angles to portray a riskier position than was reality.

There is a famous picture of a bunch of ironworkers taking a lunch break during the building of the Empire State Building. They are seated in a row on a steel girder, casually munching their sandwiches seemingly hanging in mid-air with a huge void below down to the distant city streets. Anyone here have that pic available?

Blansky mentioned Buster Keaton. He specialized in being pictured in these kinds of "harrowing" situations.

Images
    [QUOTE=copake_ham]
    There is a famous picture of a bunch of ironworkers taking a lunch break during the building of the Empire State Building. They are seated in a row on a steel girder, casually munching their sandwiches seemingly hanging in mid-air with a huge void below down to the distant city streets. Anyone QUOTE]

It was by Lewis Hine, but I can't find a link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the way I felt after dinner and a bottle of wine up there. Great picture I would love to see a picture of the photographer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is one I found.

I don't think it's the exact one I remember - Hines probably took a number of them since these guys kept falling off and ruining the shot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ESB-Lunchtime.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are you sure it is from Lewis Hine ? I was pretty sure about this, but the only reference I could find credited "Anon" (don't even know if this is a real name or means "anonymous").

It really looks like Hine but am unsure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin