Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,617   Online: 883

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    It must be the light there, but I find it fascinating the lack of contrast between the highlights and the shadows.

It's almost a 3:1 ratio in broad daylight, with the pattern of the trees creating shadows on the ground. In most places I've been the ration is far far higher.

They must have a very subdued partial cloudy/sunlight there.

Michael
    This was in fact the reason why he used the old uncoated lenses - makes quite a difference. I knew someone once who did a series of pictures of a village in the South of France at midday, normally a total no-no because of the screaming contrast of the overhead sun, but he used an old Nikon F and original lens, which shortened the tone scale considerably and gave a very pleasing effect. I use an uncoated 5 cm Elmar myself from time to time for the same reason.

Regards,

David

David, I'll take your word for it but I think it is more than just a lens that creates this effect. I think he worked in a softbox type of diffused thin layer of clouds.

Granted the lens may have had an effect but I doubt this much.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John,

Thanks for posting this!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    [QUOTE=Dave Wooten]John,

Thanks for posting this![/QUOTE

It,s a pleasure. A few more technical details on Ravilious, technique; He favoured Tri-X pull processed in D76 @ 250 iso as far as I recall. He printed all his own, until a skin condition prevented this in latter years.

Regards, John.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I happened upon "An English Eye" in a used bookstore a couple years ago. Funny enough, I've been going through for the past week. His mastery of uncoated optics and his development techinque make for beautifully produced photographs. What I'd like to see is how he masked "a proprietary Leitz" model hood so he could shoot into the sun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's beautiful work. I love the softness.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but it looks like two of these picutures were taken either into the sun or with a very strong side light. (I'm juding by the shadows.) With an uncoated lens and even an impovised hood, would this tend to cause the very soft feeling and lack of harsh contrast? Either way, I really like these a lot, thanks for posting.
    [COLOR=Cyan]We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.
    - Frank Tibolt[/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by childers-jk View Post
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but it looks like two of these picutures were taken either into the sun or with a very strong side light. (I'm juding by the shadows.) With an uncoated lens and even an impovised hood, would this tend to cause the very soft feeling and lack of harsh contrast? Either way, I really like these a lot, thanks for posting.
    I noticed that too. I also checked the gallery and noticed that many other shots have similar "soft shadows". So I'm inclined to think that it does have to do, in part, with the uncoated nature of the lenses (wouldn't coating result in some degree of polarizing?).

But I did notice that some of the shots that included "sky" showed partly cloudy conditions....so maybe he did favor "supple" conditions?

Oh, btw, the shots and subject matter are great - as I watch the Copake countryside slip away into exurbian sprawl - I wonder how idyllic these shots are and how much they were "selectively rural"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I completely missed this thread!

Thanks for posting it, John. Wonderful work...

Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had never heard of Ravilious the photographer, his work is in my opinion very, very good. I appreciate your posting his name etc.

Charlie...............................

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin