Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,921   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Discussing a James Ravilious Photograph

Hi Folks, This is one of the many pictures taken by the late James Ravilious. He loved using older Leica lenses and mastered the wonderful nature of uncoated optics in skilled hands. (He fashioned his own lens hoods to prevent fllare).

http://www.jamesravilious.com/galler...?gallery_id=12
    Last edited by John Bragg; 09-13-2006 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is the picture you meant on this site?

http://www.jamesravilious.com/

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sorry David. It is on the Corbis site, and I can not get the link to work. I have posted an alternative from the site you suggested, equally as good.

Regards, John.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My main feeling about JR's photography is the way in which he is apparently totally in tune with his subject matter. As John says, he sought out good examples of uncoated Leica lenses, in no way as a collector but simply because they gave a unique image quality which was just right for him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love his work! I have never heard of him before, but there is a wonderful quality to his images, and he has captured rural life with such dignity. His work also reminds me of the French painter Millet. Thank you for pointing this work out. It's just wonderful!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    I love his work! I have never heard of him before, but there is a wonderful quality to his images, and he has captured rural life with such dignity. His work also reminds me of the French painter Millet. Thank you for pointing this work out. It's just wonderful!

Hi Suzanne,

He had a very strong affinity with painting, since his father was the painter Eric Ravilious.

Regards, John

It must be the light there, but I find it fascinating the lack of contrast between the highlights and the shadows.

It's almost a 3:1 ratio in broad daylight, with the pattern of the trees creating shadows on the ground. In most places I've been the ration is far far higher.

They must have a very subdued partial cloudy/sunlight there.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Light on his pictures is different from normal light. I don't know if it is only about lenses or something different - soft developer or what.

What I love on his pictures is his choose of scenes - everyday simple life. And yes, he can how to find and show beauty of it. Maybe I like his "point of view" more then that special light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's very fine and could have been 1882. Are the members aware of the "Corbis" business? A certain billlllionair started the business to buy the rights to as many pictures as he can. Then for a fee you can rent a look at them under rigid conditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I lso had not see his work before but really love it. I had to check the dates myself because at first I thought is was much earlier. They make me want to visit there myself.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin