Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,748   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Discussing an Annabel Williams picture

Here is the said picture (for those not familiar with the name, AW is one of Britain's most successful social photographers and appears to have made a great deal of money both from client fees and by running workshops):
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 07-23-2007 at 03:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day David
    I don't know the name or the work

the subjects have wonderful expressions but composition is too lose to really make a strong statement

it looks a little too much like something the local portrait studio would do, not that there is anything wrong with that type of work, in fact I've done it myself, but this type of image doesn't stand as strong, creative fine art, with a wide appeal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am quite familiar with her work (and have in fact just been perusing her wedding and portrait book, having been asked to step in as a last-minute wedding photographer). This picture just does not work for me. The lighting is great and the idea is great, but if this was the best result, then she should not have bothered. It is not essential for the eyes to be looking at the camera, but it is nice to at least see the eyes looking sideways. The only child whose eyes can be seen is almost lost in a blur of not very interesting motion. In fact, it looks like all the children are about to start crying. I like Annabel Williams' portrait photos, but this picture just does not work at all.

This looks like a typical "lifestyle" picture that was used a lot in the 80s and 90s. It was originally, I believe, done by commercial photographers who would take some "models" out (not usually family members, but a fake family) and do a bunch of "aren't we having fun now" pictures.

Often the were done for stock then sold to soap, or feminine hygene, or drug companies.

The style was later picked up by portrait photographers.

This picture looks like the outtake of a series of "ok kids, climb to the top and tumble down" series.

Unfortunately, if this was the best one, the shoot was a bust.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

This picture looks like the outtake of a series of "ok kids, climb to the top and tumble down" series.

Unfortunately, if this was the best one, the shoot was a bust.

Michael
    Despite the fact that Annabel Williams is a roaring success in the UK, doing lots of commissions and running group workshops at £250 per person and day, I must say I agree entirely with Michael. This shot was done on digital, which in a sense means there is even less excuse for having such poor poses from 2 of the 4 models. The picture I posted was from a magazine article, it did not say whether AW took assistants along on this shoot (who could have been the children's mother plus a friend), they were sorely needed, as one child has its head down and is unrecognizable, while the other in the foreground looks as if he/she has just been slapped hard. For AW to supply this pic for a magazine article and describe it as her all-time favorite is quite beyond my comprehension!

Regards.

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Agree with Michael et. al.

As to saying she was proudest of it - unfortuantely, nowadays, people often make "absolutist" statements without considering the import of what they are saying.

It would be interesting to go to her in a couple of years and ask if she still agrees with such a declamatory statement with respect to her opinion of this shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    .... the other in the foreground looks as if he/she has just been slapped hard.
    Sand in the eyes, I reckon...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just wondering, were these her kids? maybe why she is most proud of it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had never heard of her before, and having found her website, well...

I suppose she's very good at self promotion, because she is a profoundly mediocre photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HO HUM. There must be hundreds, nay thousands, of similar photos taken every year. I find the picture quite unremarkable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin