Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,485   Online: 929

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Discuss an Elliot Erwitt Photograph

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CD...E=2S5RYDZUI3@1

Hi Folks.

Erwitt pictures always seem to agree with my taste in photography. I have been a fan of his work for as long as I have been interested in photography, and this one just works on many levels for me. Composition, subject, light, and of course the typical humour of his personal work. Hope some of you like it too ?

Regards, John.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Erwitt long ago went to the dogs. HA! He's a master. I never grow tired of looking at his work. So simple, yet completely full of life.

I've always loved image #28, the flying dog.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CD...7&Pic=28&o=UY5

Image #32 is fabulous, especially for the era it was created.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CD...7&Pic=32&o=UY5

Give his man a Leica and some Tri-X, and you have a master piece.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    I agree it's his humour combined with an economic style. A real joie de vivre shines through much of his work. I have his book Personal Exposures and his introduction to that book is very much like his photography. Clear, economic and often humourous and insightful. I rarely laugh out loud when viewing a photograph but have done it many times looking at his work.

This thread also gives me a chance to show off my picture with Elliott taken in Sydney a few years ago at the opening of an exhibition of Graham McCarter's photos. I recall he was in Sydney to speak at a convention and was aware of Graham's work and decided to come along to this small gallery and mingle with the opening crowd. Quite a shy man in person but always a twinkle in the eye!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erwitt.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Tony,
    Nice to see you rubbing shoulders with the man himself !!!!! He looks shy and unassuming in your picture, just as you describe him.
    In the photo I posted, I feel a touch of sadness as well as humour, since the poor dog in question is either sheltering from the heat, or may be risking his life and in iminent danger of becoming roadkill !!! J.B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always liked Elliott Erwitt's work very much.

The dog pics are great, wry humour, but I particularly like the more 'personal' photographs he took (of his wives and families) - (sorry, may look something up to post here a bit later..)

Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    but I particularly like the more 'personal' photographs he took (of his wives and families)

Cate
    I agree, the shot of his wife and child on a bed is overflowing with love. It's one of the few great photos where I don't think, "I wish I had of taken that" but rather that makes me think, "I wish I had of felt that."

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CD...E=2S5RYDI9CPHB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime I see EE`s photographs I`m struck by how well he translates his love and humor into photography. What a gift....
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    I agree, the shot of his wife and child on a bed is overflowing with love. It's one of the few great photos where I don't think, "I wish I had of taken that" but rather that makes me think, "I wish I had of felt that."

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CD...E=2S5RYDI9CPHB
    Thank you, that's the very one I meant. If I'm not mistaken, that's his first wife, Lucienne, and child. There's another of mother and child that's very beautiful aswell.

I also very much like his pictures from Dublin in the sixties, and one I remember from Venice in the forties I think of a group of street children, I think they should all be on the magnum website somewhere....

Cate

Shooter
    35mm
    I love his work. Probably because I so love dogs.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Elliott Erwitt has a profound sense of humour and is capable of some high seriousness. This combination makes him a master.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin