Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,449   Online: 969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Bill Mitchell quoting bruce terry: "square doesn't work here, holds the viewer too distant, doesn't sweep you and your feelings into the image like a rectanglar format would"
    Sounds like a PSA-approved critique at the local camera club. I don't buy it.

Hey Bill - You talk'n bout Me? A simple picture-taker who has never had need of a camera club or 'PSA' except in the context of the Prostate-Specific Antigen Test?

With the preface, understand my comment: "My personal reaction is square doesn't work here, etc." See, this stuff is out of my head, nobody else's. You say what I say is from some knee-jerk-know-it-all? Then you my friend gotta join me in The Box ... but since we are both very good guys I think we forget The Box, go knock someone else side of the head.

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It really speaks to me. My Dad was career Army and we moved almost every year. On the road a lot and I remember that sign a lot, when I needed to stop, he just kept on going.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like this a lot, and much of his other work; this is beautifully exposed/lit, perfectly composed in my view, and communicates the isolation of the environment really well. Besides which it reminds me of Hopper and that's rarely a bad thing. Interesting decision to exclude part of the vehicle and the tip of the canopy.

To me the photograph owes much to the extent of sky and foreground, which adds to its sparse nature. A rectangular approach would not have offered this and the ability to exclude part of the vehicle /canopy. Square is important to this photograph I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin