Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,856   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minimalism in photography/ Discussing Vicky Dasilva photographs

I found this site linked to at the Gallery Hopper web blog. In a recent thread someone asked about contemporary photographers working in a minimalist way and good portion of this work would fit that definition.

I can't seem to be able to upload a specific image off her site, so here is a link. If anyone wants to upload one please do.

http://www.vickidasilva.com/
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny, it's the same idea I had when I took the Brownie shots that I have in my gallery, but she did so in a much more accomplished way.

I like the graffitis, I think they are the ones that work the best with the idea.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very interesting. I also like the graffiti. I think the later work is more minimalistic though.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot of the minimalism is a straight rip off of Mark Rothko, I'm not too impressed
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Jim, they don't appeal to me, nice swirls and colours, but not a good use of photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The work on this site comes across way more maxed-out than minimalist. A hopped-up 'photographic' image isn't my idea of spare, of minimum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are minimalist in that the components of the flourescent lighted works consist of simple color and form. I think her work is currently being shown along with Dan Flavin neon sculptures somewhere in NYC.

For those not familiar with Flavin, he is considered one of the major minimalist influences from the 1960s.

here is an example of his work for anyone interested.
    http://www.artseensoho.com/Art/LEOCA...98/flavin.html
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    I loved the covered bridge shots. These are great pics. Thanks for posting the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn View Post
    They are minimalist in that the components of the flourescent lighted works consist of simple color and form. I think her work is currently being shown along with Dan Flavin neon sculptures somewhere in NYC.

For those not familiar with Flavin, he is considered one of the major minimalist influences from the 1960s.

here is an example of his work for anyone interested.
    http://www.artseensoho.com/Art/LEOCA...98/flavin.html
    EXCEPT - that flavin's work MIGHT be considered Minimal-ISM only through the 'minimal' use of material in his medium of choice. I see this work as being more about graphics maybe... about line and form. There's certainly a 'performance' or 'ritual' aspect that complicates any discussion of it though.

Shooter
    Holga
    Those photographs look a lot more psychedelic then minimal! Still, I think Vicki did an excellent job executing the play of time and color. What sort of fluorescent tube did she use that doesn't need to be plugged into AC power?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin