Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,795   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusARyan View Post
    For many years Peter Cattrell was her B&W printer. He is a landscape photographer here in the UK, he is a contemporary of Micheal Kenna's, he teaches at the LCP among other gigs and has done a lot of work on the first world war battle fields particularly in france.
    I learnt Fine Printing from Peter when he was teaching at St Martins' - sadly those courses don't seem to be offered any more. Yes, he was Fay Godwin's printer for eight years, I believe.... I believe she did a lot of her own printing, but he did her exhibition prints, some if not all. By the time I knew him he had given up, which was in late nineties.

Cate

Images
    If I was to buy a single volume of her work (sign unseen), should it be "landscapes?" (This is still available new in hardback from Amazon, USA.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good questions Bill.

I can't remember the exact camera she used now, but it was certainly medium format. I think it was a Bronica, but definately not a Hasselblad or Rollei. As she composed in camera any 2:3 format images would have been shot on a 6x9.

She certainly paid lip service to the zone system and used a tripod, she would also have used the mirror lock on the camera. As her health became frail, she had a heart problem she began shooting hand hled 35mm colour work.

A couple of years before I first met Fay Godwin I went on a workshop with Peter Cattrel, a Scottish photographer and at the time he was printing for her. I think he printed all the images in her book "Land". Peter was an extremely good printer.

It's probably fair to say that her ealy landscape prints were printed quite harshly, and there was a sudden point where her images and prints became far more tonal and fluid. This is probably after she attended a workshop herself, at paul Hill's "Photographers Place".

This change can be seen in images featureded in an early issue of 10x8 magazine, which were reprinted later for Land. I remember her saying one of her early well known images was particularly difficult to print.

Hope that helps. 3 or 4 years ago I nearly choose to write a dissertation on Fay Godwin while on an MA course, but decided on John Davies instead :-)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    Ian, would you care to comment on her working habits? The formats in these pictures vary from 2:3 to square, so I presume that she used 35mm and Rollei or Hassel. Did she work from a tripod or always hand-held? Did she do her own printing, or have assistants or professional printers? Etc? Thanks.
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-31-2006 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusARyan View Post
    ... workshop at Duckspool, whatever became of those by the way anyone ...
    www.seamusryan.com
    An interesting side question! In my view, a classic case of someone beating his own business to death with a shovel!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter moved on in his own practice, away from analog and into digital, which is his own choice. I guess we have to respect that.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    An interesting side question! In my view, a classic case of someone beating his own business to death with a shovel!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Peter moved on in his own practice, away from analog and into digital, which is his own choice. I guess we have to respect that.

Ian
    There are those who are of the opinion that customer satisfaction levels (leading to repeat business and word-of-mouth recomendations) were way below the mark needed for the long-term viability of his business!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I did not know of Fay Godwin before this thread. From the work I've seen through the links provided, its most pleasant. Bill, thanks for bringing her to attention.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to clarify re. Duckspool, for those who may read this and confuse it, those comments are not related to Peter Cattrell but another 'Peter'.
    Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Cate.

I went on a Peter Goldfield workshop at Duckspooll not long after Peter founded the centre and Peter Cattrell was assisting with the workshop, (they both taught at St Martins at the time).

At the end of an interesting 4 or 5 days Peter Cattrell said "I'm sorry I think you didn't get much out of this workshop" I already had 20+ years professional experience at the time. But I surprised him by saying that actually I had probably come away with far more knowledge than anyone else that long weekend.

I told Peter (Cattrell) why: It had clarified my approach to my personal work, his own fine art printing sessions had broadened my horizons, and most importantly it had begun to help me critique my own work.

Subsequently I went on to do 2 more workshops at Duckspool, with Paul Hill and then John Blakemore. Both were excellent. But essentially just confirmed that I'd already embarked in the right direction.

In making comparisons Paul Hill's Photographers Place had such a good name internationally that he was able to actually choose (from those that applied) who went on his workshops, you had to submit work first, and the workshops were over subscribed and sold out very early.

It's quite a while since I went to Duckspool, so I can't really comment on its later workshops. However I went on 3 and a couple of friends 2 each and we all came home thoroughy satisfied.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Just to clarify re. Duckspool, for those who may read this and confuse it, those comments are not related to Peter Cattrell but another 'Peter'.
    Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex

You should look for a book she published with the poet Ted Hughes "Remains of Elmet" it was republished not long before Fay's death. Also "Land" which I think went out of print. Her early landscape work was by far her strongest.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    I did not know of Fay Godwin before this thread. From the work I've seen through the links provided, its most pleasant. Bill, thanks for bringing her to attention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin