Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,670   Online: 1144

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To my mind, all the Mortensen images that I've seen are schtick-somethingorother. After all, he's a pictorialist. They give me the impression that he wanted to be an illustrator but he couldn't (I guess) draw. He made pictures using photography as a tool. I'm not sure he was a photographer...exactly. But I don't want to define photography...which would sort of make me as ridiculous as he tended to be. I mean...nothing puts me off more about him than the notion of "rules."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    ... They give me the impression that he wanted to be an illustrator but he couldn't (I guess) draw. ...
    I believe that Mortensen worked creating/painting movie sets; I had the impression from Fay Wray's memoirs that Mortensen could draw very well indeed.....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Mortensen could draw very well. To learn a little more about him, see:
    http://www.thescreamonline.com/photo...ndtolook1.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn View Post
    I believe that Mortensen worked creating/painting movie sets; I had the impression from Fay Wray's memoirs that Mortensen could draw very well indeed.....
    That being so doesn't change the impression the images give me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That being so doesn't change the impression the images give me.
    I wasn't trying to argue you out of your impressions, just trying to point out that your guess about his drawing ability was not correct in fact.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn View Post
    I wasn't trying to argue you out of your impressions, just trying to point out that your guess about his drawing ability was not correct in fact.
    Gotcha.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm no fan of pictorialism but this image I find interesting. The lighting and pose interests me, its painterly feel, I am undecided on. I do like the bromoil process, but the original post compared it to Weston. The styles are so different its impossible for me to make a comparison.

I will say that Ive never really cared for Westons nudes. Only a few of Charis would rank at the top in my eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To my mind, all the Mortensen images that I've seen are schtick-somethingorother. After all, he's a pictorialist.
    You say that as if it were derogatory. What part of good composition, attention to mood and feeling, and the suppression of unnecessary and meaningless detail don't you like?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    You say that as if it were derogatory. What part of good composition, attention to mood and feeling, and the suppression of unnecessary and meaningless detail don't you like?

I guess my attitude toward pictorialism is rather derogatory. I won't respond to the the straw-man argument though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    People bag on Mortenson for being a bad photographer, but I think it's more his that his choice of medium was completely wrong for his artistic voice.

He's taking photography and using it to make paintings. I read through "The Model" (which by the way is a fantastic book and much wittier than one would expect -- he has a dry, biting humor) two or three times before I resigned myself to believe that yes, those really were photos and not paintings.

Maybe they'll be talking about photorealistic painters the same way in 30 years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin