Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 835

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How sad, Bill. I have seen this portrait before and always loved it. I think it would be horrible to lose all your negatives, not to mention the rest of your possessions. I lost a book of them once when someone broke into my car. They were probably dumped somewhere, but I mourned the loss for a long time.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to see all your comments, thanks all. What I find fascinating about this photo is the status of the Picasso light drawing.

A lot of thinking about photography always suggest that it is different from drawing because it is not created by the conscious actions of the artist, and thus is more akin to taking an imprint of reality, like one would do with clay pressed upon a bas-relief. (Personnally, I don't agree with that position for a myriad of little reasons.)

I find that this picture dramatizes nicely the opposition between our common conceptions of drawing and photo by showing that one needs not accept the idea that a photo is necessarily a direct record of reality. Picasso's drawing does not exist elsewhere than on the negative his light pens inscribed.

I think if one sticks to the above conception of photography as record of direct experience, then this work is a composite, but I'm more incline not to see it as such, because none of the actions that went into its production differ from that in the ordinary taking of a photograph. I think it rather shows that the definition of a photography must be extended beyond this realistic hypothesis.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a great photo. I would consider it a work by both artist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin