Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,018   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Discuss a... photo? by... whom?

Here's a fun one for you guys: Gjon Mili took a picture of Picasso in which he painted with light the image of a centaur. So, do you think this is a photo by Gjon Mili, or a drawing by Picasso?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pmmr.jpg  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, can it be both?

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    either way, I'd say its a great photo of a painting made with light and the guy who painted it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I understand your phraseolgy; Mili took the photo and then Picasso light-painted the Centaur. Is this correct?

If so, it is a collaborative effort and a composite photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I looked at the photo and assumed that Picasso painted it in the dark and a flash illuminated him from the upper left at the end of the painting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Michel

great question

without the photograher there would be no image and no record of Picasso's work, so if the cetaur was not recorded is it art?

the resulting photograpgh is a piece of visual art, would it have been as good without the Picasso drawing? it would still exist but thr centaur drawing wouldn't

so, i must consider it a photograph by Gjon Mili with some input by Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd call it a photographic collaboration. Or something. It seems different from the more common photo - interpretive or not - of an art piece because it is to do with an ephemeral event, a bit like performance art. Whatever it is, it's great, and new to me - thanks for posting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always loved this one. I think it was in Life magazine, no? Photograph by Mili, light drawing by Picasso. Best of both worlds!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would consider it a photograph by Mili because I assume that the idea of Picasso painting with light was his idea. While Picasso did the drawing, it would not have been possible without Mili.

But either way, it's a great idea for a portrait. I don't know the date of the image but probably late 50s early 60s. The idea of using light in such a way in an image was probably new and quite fascinating to the non-photographers who saw the mage.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Images
    Just a couple of sad words about Gjon Mili for those who are too young to remember him. Post WW2 he was considered one of the great innovators in the use of light and motion. He had a large commercial studio in NYC which burned down with all his stored negatives, and then he was hit by a taxi and suffered brain damage. I don't believe that he ever recovered enough to work again, and was pretty much disabled physically, mentally, and financially by the time he passed away. This is certainly an extraordinary photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin