Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,419   Online: 934

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Charmingly grotesque, but the awkwardly-chopped-off aft portion of the hearse down the lower right vertical throws me way off.

I wonder what Lange was thinking - or not thinking - to leave the image like this when an extremely slight crop would have removed the useless busy-ness of the bottom-half vertical edge, brought out the cab and it's sadly terminal passenger much more powerfully - and lost absolutely nothing of any value.

But I wasn't there, then, nor am I a great photographer. But I am a curious one: Why did Lange do this? Was she one of those ardent no-croppers? Any thoughts?

Bruce

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    That was me Bruce. I had to scan the image in from a large book and cropped off abit much there to straighten the image. Sorry about that. Very clumsy of me.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 01-30-2007 at 09:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Here's a better one.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 07-25-2007 at 11:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hi Ralph

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Amazing how much better people look when they roll down the window.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce terry View Post
    Amazing how much better people look when they roll down the window.
    But then again, you don't get the "mourning cloud" reflections off the windows either....

Images
    Thank you for presenting it.
    I first saw this image in the early 50s, and as a small-town boy knew instantly what situation was presented. I doubt that anyone who grew up much later, or in a city, would recognize and respond to it. It was not just the widow, but the whole thing -- cropping down would completely ruin the entire story, told in a single photograph. What a genius Lange was!
    The period, of course, was referred to even then as the Depression Era.
    I think it's time for me to go back and re-read Milton Meltzer's excellent biography of Lange.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    But then again, you don't get the "mourning cloud" reflections off the windows either....
    Or the direct gaze back at you.

btw I think 'end of an era' can be used in a personal way, we do it all the time in our family -e.g. moving house etc. Maybe it's a cultural thing. The title doesn't jar with me. I think it's an interesting question - and not just being picky over language - as some photographers choose the titles of their photos with care, and it can add a lot to the meaning. Obviously Lange felt it made sense on a personal level aswell.

Images
    Apparently the entire title is: "Funeral Cortege, End of an Era in a Small Valley Town. California, 1938."
    Lange's titles can be a little flaky, because many of them were invented for her book, "American Exodsis."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Or the direct gaze back at you.

btw I think 'end of an era' can be used in a personal way, we do it all the time in our family -e.g. moving house etc. Maybe it's a cultural thing. The title doesn't jar with me. I think it's an interesting question - and not just being picky over language - as some photographers choose the titles of their photos with care, and it can add a lot to the meaning. Obviously Lange felt it made sense on a personal level aswell.
    Yes, I can see where there are personal uses of the word "era". I guess part of it with Lange is that I associate her work so much with the Great Depression etc. that it seemed the title should portend something larger than this woman's personal history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin