Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,222   Online: 1209

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Shawn, I agree with your assessment of the photo. Simple yet complex which is a quality I enjoy.

I have not seen any of Citret's work in person, nor any of his books. However, reading his essays and website a few years ago was an inspiration for me. As John Voss said, making gold out of lead, closely noticing the things that are taken for granted. This caused me to strive for the same qualities.
    Looking more closely at our surrondings is something I'm from which I'm sure would could all benefit. I'm learning that lesson the hardway, by trying to photograph, literaly, in my own back yard. My continuing Campbell's Farm series opens me up a little more with each image.

Nice looking website by the way Alex. I didn't realize you'd put it up. I guess the link in your signature wasn't obvious enough for me. I will say you need a photograph on the home page! Best. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shawn when I looked at the shot you posted I honestly didn't see anything complex or warm or comforting in it! However, reviewing Mark Citret's galleries, I am thankful that you gave the link. There are many interesting ideas in there. I see mostly sweeping geometry and open space, with very gentle tonality - relatively low contrast.

Overall I definitely would not say that I feel any sense of warmth/comfort from the photographs I viewed; on the contrary, many galleries (e.g. Cafes, Motels, On the Road) seem desperately lonely to me, perhaps because they are scenes that one expects to be full of people/life and instead one finds rather muted light. A common theme in many of the scenes is some 'evidence' (e.g. used cutlery, a towel, ruffled sheets) indicating that the scene was recently inhabited, but somehow I find the emptiness rather discomforting, to be honest.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for this link - I enjoyed looking at Citret's work and think he has an excellent eye for seeing abstract simplicity and beauty in the everyday. His overhead lines reminded me of Tina Modotti (I couldn't ultimately dissociate-is that a word?-that, and find hers, I don't know why, more powerful). My first reaction is that I don't in ALL of the pictures see complex layers of meaning beneath the surface, or a strong sense of human engagement - I do in the bathroom series and I think for that reason I like these best. Quite a number of the photographs seem to be about surfaces (which is not in itself a criticism). I imagine his prints are very beautiful and it is perhaps difficult to fully appreciate his pictures in this on-line format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    I imagine his prints are very beautiful and it is perhaps difficult to fully appreciate his pictures in this on-line format.
    Indeed it is. If you get a chance to see his book, though, you can get a much stronger sense of the actual 'graphs. I held one of his prints next to its reproduction in "Along the Way". They were surpisingly similar.
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    This is great. I have yet to get a successful bathroom pic, this just makes me want to try harder, which for me is a really good thing.

I especially like the arch and towel. As said it evokes a human presence, The arch lends to the calm atmosphere. As the dominant graphic feature of the image It does not over take the image. Thanks for the heads up on his site. I will check it out.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Well, I'll certainly go back and have a long second look -- maybe yesterday was a "bad day." Generally I enjoy uncluttered work, such as Lilo Raymond.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The uniquely subtle beauty of Citret's printing style (and it is truly unique - nobody else in the world does quite what he does) demands that you see his photographs in person. Any critique of his work is unfair if it's based upon a reproduction of any kind.

I've yawned at many of his photographs online only to be entranced when seeing an original print of the same image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen his work on a couple of occasions and agree that the prints are beautiful to see in person. Mark has the ability to take very banal subject matter and extract certain nuggets that capture your attention. A couple of folks have mentioned the evidence of people now gone from the scene. One of the aspects of his work is his ability to edit the scene down to a few key elements. His best images strike a wonderful balance between the subject matter and tonality of the print. Niether over powers the other.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link to his work, Shawn. It certainly is very intriguing, and makes me want to buy the book. As others have said, probably hard to really judge his work online. This is the type of work that is probably best understood or appreciated after a good long look and that his prints must have an extraordinary presence... even the online versions have embraced my eyes, and kept me looking!

One thing I think I can say for sure is... that bathroom towel is one of the most beautifully photographed objects I've ever seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy View Post
    Thanks for the link to his work, Shawn. It certainly is very intriguing, and makes me want to buy the book. As others have said, probably hard to really judge his work online. This is the type of work that is probably best understood or appreciated after a good long look and that his prints must have an extraordinary presence... even the online versions have embraced my eyes, and kept me looking!

One thing I think I can say for sure is... that bathroom towel is one of the most beautifully photographed objects I've ever seen.
    If you enjoyed the images online you'll love the book. It really is well worth the money. I think it's $55 or so and beautifully printed and presented. One of my favorites. I agree whole heartedly about the towel. Best. Shawn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin