Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,484   Online: 820

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g'day mhv, could you please expand this statement a little, i'm not sure i get your meaning

Ray
    Ray, do a quick google for Bruegel's images like "Hunters in the snow" or "Numbering at Bethlehem," and you should see the similarity with the winter pictures (esp. "The Village").

As for the digital manipulations, look at "Boy with a Donkey" or "Street in Birgi" on this page: http://www.nuribilgeceylan.com/turke...ope5.php?sid=5

Or look at "Baker Boy in Urfa" and "Three School Children" here: http://www.nuribilgeceylan.com/turke...ope4.php?sid=4

There is so much dodging and burning everywhere that the tones look like crude CGI. Light seems to come from every direction at once and the shadows do not make any sense. In other words it looks like hell all over. Not all of the images exhibit such heavy handed retouching, so I can't see it as being used to articulate a consistent statement. It just seems as if he was trying to palliate for bad light, which is understandable, but he overdid it.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day all, Bill & Michel

thanx Michel, i see the similarity to Bruegel but i don't agree there is too much dodging and burning, i've seen worse in many traditional monochrome images, i think he is trying to lead our eye to what he wants to portray as important, which i believe is good darkroom technique

please explain the meaning of "crude CGI"

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g'day all, Bill & Michel

thanx Michel, i see the similarity to Bruegel but i don't agree there is too much dodging and burning, i've seen worse in many traditional monochrome images, i think he is trying to lead our eye to what he wants to portray as important, which i believe is good darkroom technique

please explain the meaning of "crude CGI"

Ray
    It might be a question of taste, but to me there are way too many local manipulations.

CGI = computer generated imagery
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin