Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,996   Online: 816

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Yeah actually, one can.
    Sorry J - maybe I should have used the first person in that case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Well - I'm not trying to pass any sort of absolute moral judgement on sturges. I'm just saying he gives me the WILLIES! I'm SURE others will see merit where I don't - that's a given - and the only thing I can say with absolute surety about photography or art.
    It depends where you`re coming from I guess, and that`s perfectly normal...
    Maybe me being European makes a difference?

And remember all images are taken in a nudist community in wich Jock(and he`s part of that community himself) has photographed for 20 years or so, and everybody is just family and friends.
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well - maybe - could be. I think at certain times in my life I was predisposed to thinking of most photographers who shot naked women to be creeps. You know the whole 'fine art photograph' thing. I'm pretty feminist/marxist in my views still, I suppose.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Willies?" Isn't that UK slang for something unsavory?

Parking Garage, 2006

Actually, if there's one thing that gives me the creeps, it's when people say that a strong emotional reaction -- of any sort -- makes art bad. I thought that was what artists WANTED?

Or is it all about a Prozac-pleasant non-challenging game of wiffleball?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Or is it all about a Prozac-pleasant non-challenging game of wiffleball?
    Damn Björke - that's a GREAT idea for a piece! Wonderful. Who did those paintings? Those are great...!

silly sarcasm. silly me.

well - i normally reserve judgement on especially the most extreme judgement matter. I'd always thought of sturges as a closet pedophile. I'm not saying he IS - I'm just saying that was always my take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Damn Björke - that's a GREAT idea for a piece! Wonderful. Who did those paintings? Those are great...!

silly sarcasm. silly me.

well - i normally reserve judgement on especially the most extreme judgement matter. I'd always thought of sturges as a closet pedophile. I'm not saying he IS - I'm just saying that was always my take.

Sigh, there it came, the "pedophile" word.......
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, is there a more appropriate word? I mean we're talking about a sixty-something year old guy photographing naked 12 year old girls. I mean - let's get real here for a second.

(sorry if I seem to be having a 'conservative day' - not usually like me!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, lets get real here for a second.

That would be a hell of an idea.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not going to judge the intentions of any of the artists mentioned above. My take is if they make me feel unfomfortable, then I dont look, and I decide to carry that on for all of the artists work. That's it.

As Carl knows, I am a social worker, so fighting vulnerability is always at the forefront of my mind. My concern is for the children's feelings as they grow up and realise that people will cast aspersions like mentioning paedophilia ... even if there is nothing untowards and just creativity and art at play, will they be comfortable with their portraits (taken in seemingly quite compromised situations) in later life? And if so, is there any way they could remove that image from the public eye? (I suspect the answer is no). But then again, these are just my own internal questions, I'm not looking for answers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread hasn't been and isn't really about Sturges it is about Sally Mann - I'd didn't intend to go down this route and would prefer we didn't as I know there are very strong views re his work.

Getting back to Sally Mann - what makes her images of close family more than snapshots or stuff purely for ones family album?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin