Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,007   Online: 1159

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    There was an interesting piece in _Aperture_ not too long ago by Sally Mann's daughter, Jessie. She's been doing collaborative work with other photographers playing on her role as a photographic subject, adopting various personae.
    I also saw a similar interview in Shots Magazine lately.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sionnac View Post
    The most disturbing images I think she's made, actually, are the exposed cadavers in 'What Remains." Those were beautifully made, but the subject matter made me queasy.
    Those pieces I love. I think she does some really amazing stuff. I'm just not so into the family portraits (they DO look just like standard family portraits to me).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    (they DO look just like standard family portraits to me).
    If you can make family portraits like those, my hat off to you, sir....

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Mann's (and Gowin's) work have contributed to the view that these can now be accepted as family portraits.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    (they DO look just like standard family portraits to me).
    Can you post some of your family portraits that somehow compare to what Sally Mann has done? Or point us to some other "standard" family portraits that can hold a candle to hers??
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends where you're coming from Mr. Kerik. Nearly every family photo I've ever seen. They appear the same to me. I am not talking about shallow formal characteristics. I am talking about the psychological space of the image. i.e. - compare her portraits of her daughter(s) to Arbus' "Puerto Rican woman" to get a reference of what I mean.

Images
    I went to a lecture by Jock Sturges a few years ago and was struck by the tremendous respect he displayed towards them when talking about his models. Listening to him, I was better able to see them as genuine people, not simply naked girls. (Though I always felt he has an ablility to capture "personality" in his photos.) As was mentioned earlier, he has photographed many of them for many years and has become close to some of their families.

I have found J. Sturges' photographs to be stunningly beautiful. David Hamilton's, to me, are creepy. Perhaps if I had heard him give a lecture, I could have learned to appreciate his photographs...

Images
    I apologize for digressing from Sally Mann...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have more respect for Mann's work than I do for Sturges. Don't get me wrong, I think Sturges produces beautiful photographs of beautiful people photographed beautifully, they are just not my cup of tea. Mann's "family snapshots" certainly have something powerful about them. It seems to me that her later work with wet collodion is more about the process than the images, and in that respect does not strike me as being as emotive.

Just an opinion.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever the heck happened to being allowed not to like something anymore? It's not permitted? Sorry - I didn't get the handout. Neither Sally Mann's kid photos - nor Mr. Sturges' stuff really do anything for me. The common thread is that they both seem far too 'personal' for me to enter into a dialogue with. Both, of course, in different ways.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin