Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,790   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Spatial frequencies" isn't wrong, but can be a false friend and lead you astray.

The 'problem' with doubled images like these is that you can all too easily over-emphasize a particular direction. Branches running parallel to the doubling direction don't look doubled, while those perpendicular are doubled most strongly. It is easy to end up with a dull bunch of stripes. One of the things I admire in these photos is the way that Meatyard has avoided that, and has retained an interesting formal scheme in the midst of what looks like chaos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thinking of these pictures and reading the comments I've now got a word going round in my head I can't get rid of that seems to fit here ...... susseration .....no complaints, it's a great word.... (quite loud, though, I'll let you know if it keeps me awake..)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had to look that one up... a soft whisper of murmur, but it seems it you've misspelled it, according to "dictionary.com. (ok.. not the OED!) Should be suserration.

Yes.. great word, Cate, and an excellent one for Meatyard's work!! Hope it won't keep you awake, but it's one of those words that rolls right off the tongue!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably from French (and thence from Latin, etc): sussurer. The kind of tone you assume when you are pouring intimate words into the ear of someone you love.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    I had to look that one up... a soft whisper of murmur, but it seems it you've misspelled it, according to "dictionary.com. (ok.. not the OED!) Should be suserration.

Yes.. great word, Cate, and an excellent one for Meatyard's work!! Hope it won't keep you awake, but it's one of those words that rolls right off the tongue!!
    Oops.. I just checked and in fact we're both wrong it should be susurration (might differ English/US spellings though). I keep thinking of ....the susurration of the grasses.... Seems like it should have two 's' s doesn't it? Nightmare to spell but the sound is nice...
    Last edited by catem; 08-13-2007 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell 'two' either

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    Oops.. I just checked and in fact we're both wrong it should be susurration (might differ English/US spellings though). I keep thinking of ....the susurration of the grasses.... Seems like it should have two 's' s doesn't it? Nightmare to spell but the sound is nice...
    Indeed... I first noticed one s and two r's, and didn't see the U!! D'oh!! :o Well, I know this word, now!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread seems to be bringing out my mental blocks. There must be a term to describe the way lovely words irreversibly narrow their focus because of their association with particular memories or experiences. Thanks to Terry Pratchett, I cannot help but associate "susurration" with tiny blue warriors and bad poetry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    This thread seems to be bringing out my mental blocks. There must be a term to describe the way lovely words irreversibly narrow their focus because of their association with particular memories or experiences. Thanks to Terry Pratchett, I cannot help but associate "susurration" with tiny blue warriors and bad poetry.
    Awww....what a shame! I'm now going to try to forget the associations you mention (not hard as I don't read either!) .. and stick with Meatyard, and especially that first photograph which is really growing on me....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try too. I have my own small continuing series of susurration photos, although mine tend to be the result of a howling gale rather than a gentle eddy. I tend towards less complex scenes and more complex motions than Meatyard, but I have been inspired and encouraged by his example. No Pictsies as yet...

Marram Grass, and a big gust. Achnahaird Beach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like this, Struan. I also have a 'whispering grasses' photo in my gallery. I have taken a lot more 'grasses' pictures this summer, I love them, only mostly this year in colour, a bit of a departure for me. Or more accurately, quite a lot of 'reeds' pictures, although that is a kind of grass, I think. Not really like Meatyard, though!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin