Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,745   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    So, do you know, did all of the emulsions that Kodak made up until the "big kill off" (when they axed "Verichrome", "Ektapan", "Commercial") -- which seemed to coincide with the cut over to the "new coating plant" -- get 'made over' to the Modern methods or were these still Recent recipes at the time they were discontinued?

I'm presuming that PX and TX got "Modernized" at some point, due to their relative popularity.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ed;

IDK.

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the huge compliment, Denise!

I look forward to those future days as well!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kirk,
    I don't think that we can wait for your daughter to get married . Can't you just put her up for adoption and get to work? I mean, Dude, get your priorities straight!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I work with a lot of outdated films. Both Konica color films and Shanghai GP3 black and white deteriorate in really remarkable ways. I never see anything like this with Kodak, Fuji, or Ilford (or former east-bloc films). What you are saying in this post about the importance of finishing, and how complicated it is, has me convinced that their problems relate to a poor understanding of stabilization. Except for stability, I find both films otherwise quite good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, you are exactly correct.

Thanks for a good post putting the problem clearly before us.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just have to stick my head in here too... does the liquid emulsions (such as Foma) undergo the same complex finishing touches? Or are those emulsions, primarily meant to be paper emulsions, less complex?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, paper emulsions can be just as complex as film emulsions when undergoing finishing. The reason is the exacting control of curve shape and fog, and also for keeping.

The liquid emulsions do caution you to be careful as after each heating they may change. This is a sign of "old style" finishes using just sulfur or sulfur + gold.

However, many paper emulsions were never finished at all. They were made in such a way that they gave the right characteristics right out of the "pot".

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin