Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 771

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Spin Coating 30x40"

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I think it should be tried. I'm not aware of this method ever having been used due to the one off nature of the product.

I think it is an interesting idea. Maybe I could whip up some emulsion and send you a jar.

PE
    I've heard from John Preston that he used to spin coat very large sheets (perhaps vacuumed down acetate?). The sheets were about 30x40". They were coated with a silver halide gelatin photo emulsion and used for map making somehow. He says they got good even coatings, so I guess it can be done even on a very large scale.
    My guess is that this technique is best for very thin coatings, and figured it probably wouldn't work for very thick matrix film coatings.

Regards - Jim Browning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dyetransfer View Post
    I've heard from John Preston that he used to spin coat very large sheets (perhaps vacuumed down acetate?). The sheets were about 30x40". They were coated with a silver halide gelatin photo emulsion and used for map making somehow. He says they got good even coatings, so I guess it can be done even on a very large scale.
    My guess is that this technique is best for very thin coatings, and figured it probably wouldn't work for very thick matrix film coatings.

Regards - Jim Browning
    Again, it is no big deal to multicoat. And if there were reason to get fancy: some of these coaters have multiple injectors, are fully programmable, so you can push a button and go away. It'd be no big deal to have a plate wetted, spun, aired, baked, wetted, spun etc. ad nauseum. The nice thing about the process is that it is quite scalable, I'd see no problem getting up to full plate size at low speed (couple hundred rpm).

But the proof is, of course, in the pudding. So let's just see!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith;

Do you want some 4x5 sheets of film or 4x5 plates with the emulsion?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Plates. Or do you have other ideas...? I wasn't thinking of dealing with film at all. I mean, I could think about that if there is interest but glass plates would be much, much easier. Film would have to be adhered to a plate and then lifted... could be a pain.

For film I think my idea of adapting an inkjet printer is probably more reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, when I can get away to the PO or UPS I will send you 1 or 2 emulsions and a few plates (4x5).

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ooh I'm getting plates too? Goodie!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kieth,
    I have promissed you a sample of a non-gelatin emulsion last week. Well I used it all up in testing. I have begun a new batch and will send you some befor I do anythingelse with it.
    That will be in a day or two.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's all good. Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin