Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,323   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly, dicarboxylic acid anhydrides will crosslink polyols. Or at least should.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    That is exactly what I am thinking, not only taking advantage of the best of PT PD with highlight detail, but as well the best of carbon which is its incredible shadow detail.

Pt Pd will give warm highlights and the carbon can be tinged blue(cold) to give an incredible split print

Quote Originally Posted by T-grain View Post
    Ron, do you think a PVOH/PVAC overcoat would work with Pt/Pd with such a paper?
    Bob, I am also "toying" with the idea to combine Pt/Pd with carbon to get the best of both processes....never done it though. What I wonder most is how it would look like when you have different tones deriving from both emulsions..perhaps like a split-toned print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since this is the Silver Gelatin Emulsion subforum, and the OP topic is the Formulary's baryta, I'll take a chance and weigh in.

Why not make a silver gelatin paper and split-tone it?
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Toning/ToningPart1.

And, the glossy baryta coats beautifully (although glossy isn't to my personal taste.) An example is at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Pape...atingPart3.htm

A lot of people have held that particular print and not believed it isn't commercial. (Actually, I don't consider that a 'plus' in its favor. I think alternative printers want there to be some sign that their art didn't come ready-made out of the box. But, that's another story.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I have received a couple of really nice emails this morning -- one from a personal friend, and one from an e-penpal. They both very kindly pointed out the fallacy of my personal photo-bubble. Most people, even those here, no longer have darkrooms. Pt/Pd and carbon printing don't require one -- just water and a yellow bug light. Also (according to my friends and in all honesty, my observation, too) most people are going from digital image capture to inkject negative. Very few people are even developing film much less making silver gelatin emulsions, no matter how much they may want to. (The "how much they want to" part may be only kindness on the part of my friends. I have wonderful friends .) Anyway, my apologies for what looks like high-handedness (even to me, this morning.)

I hope folks buy PE's book. Maybe read The Light Farm (for me, the fun and satisfaction just get better and better -- which is my only excuse for getting annoying here.) Take a George Eastman House (GEH) class. Or two. A workshop there is about way more than the class material. Who knows how long the place can afford to keep going. If you have the means and opportunity, you should take advantage sooner, rather than chance later.

d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Speaking for myself, I am awaiting 200 sheets of 8x10 250 sheets of 4x5 and 50 rolls of trix arriving this thrus night from England, we will be processing ,Contacting and then making silver prints for the next month.... Darkroom not dead in Toronto, and we plan to keep it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Hi All,

I have received a couple of really nice emails this morning -- one from a personal friend, and one from an e-penpal. They both very kindly pointed out the fallacy of my personal photo-bubble. Most people, even those here, no longer have darkrooms. Pt/Pd and carbon printing don't require one -- just water and a yellow bug light. Also (according to my friends and in all honesty, my observation, too) most people are going from digital image capture to inkject negative. Very few people are even developing film much less making silver gelatin emulsions, no matter how much they may want to. (The "how much they want to" part may be only kindness on the part of my friends. I have wonderful friends .) Anyway, my apologies for what looks like high-handedness (even to me, this morning.)

I hope folks buy PE's book. Maybe read The Light Farm (for me, the fun and satisfaction just get better and better -- which is my only excuse for getting annoying here.) Take a George Eastman House (GEH) class. Or two. A workshop there is about way more than the class material. Who knows how long the place can afford to keep going. If you have the means and opportunity, you should take advantage sooner, rather than chance later.

d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Images
    Anyone knoe anything about prices?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

mdm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am interested in 200 sheets 11x14 if the price is ok. Please post an email address and price because I am not calling from New Zealand.

Thanks
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave;

Contact the Formulary via the redirection icon on APUG when it pops up.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    being not a Pt/Pd printer (yet), what is the main issue with Pt/Pd on gelatin? is it a too deep penetration of the solution into the sizing or is it due to the reducing ability of gelatin in relation to Pt/Pd salts?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have been using Baryta paper (and advocating its use) for coating any gelatin based material and some non-gelatin based materials for several years now. I have coated cyanotypes and others, but Pt/Pd does not work as noted above. Unless - you put on a sizing layer to isolate the gelatin.

Baryta is made up of gelatin mixed with Barium Sulfate coated on DW photograde paper. I have samples of these products and am very very happy with them. I have posted prints in the Emulsion forum.

As for costs? Contact the Formulary. I have no idea what these may cost.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it has been several years now, but IIRC, the Pt or Pd Oxalate reacts with gelatin. It forms a nice "gum" that looks like sillly putty. If you try coating on it, same thing! Ask one of the posters here for more information.

PE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin