Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,180   Online: 701

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing paper

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Sizing paper

Anyone know any instructions or formulas for sizing paper with gelatin using chrome alum as a hardener? I'm going to be sizing for salt prints and I've searched everywhere online on instructions or recipes and haven't found anything specific. Any info would be great!

Thanks
    Joe

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Make a 2% Chrome alum solution:
    •Hot distilled Water 500 ml
    •Chrome Alum 10 grams

Mix until well dissolved

Then in another container:
    •Hot distilled water: 750ml
    •Gelatin: 7 grams
    •2% Chrome alum solution: 20ml
    •Distilled water to make: 1 liter (total)

You can re-warm for a few days and then you will notice a strong smell.
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 02-17-2012 at 12:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've seen this formula during my searches online, but found it lacked specifics. For instance, what exactly is the process for coating the paper, is there a certain waiting period before applying the salt print chemistry? What is the sizing supposed to look like on the paper? If you have any personal experience, please share. Other than that, I've already searched far and wide for answers. Thank you for the reply though
    Last edited by Jfert92; 02-17-2012 at 01:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chapter 15 of Christopher James' "the book of Alternative Photographic Processes" is an excellent guide on sizing.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be aware that chrome alum takes a few days to harden the gelatin completely and it also gives the paper a faint bluish cast.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A blue cast, IMHO indicates too much chrome alum.

Here is my formula:

Make up 10% gelatin (weight / weight) by using 10 grams of gelatin in 90 grams of water.

Add to that up to 5 ml of 10% chrome alum or 5 ml of commercial glyoxal at 4% (40% diluted to 4% with water). Chrome alum will take up to 2 days to harden, but glyoxal is done in about 4 - 8 hours.

Add 0.5 ml of surfactant such as 10% saponin, Photo Flo 200 or just plain Ethyl Alcohol (Everclear sold in some liquor stores).

Apply this mixture at the rate of 12 ml / square foot or less (not more) to the paper by any of the common methods such as brush, dip, coating blade etc...

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    So do you allow the mixture of gelatin and chrome alum to sit for the 2 days to harden? Or do you coat the paper and let that sit for 2 days?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once you add any hardener to gelatin, the clock is ticking. It must be coated ASAP. Sorry, I thought that was obvious, but some people don't do this every day like I do.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    So then what is the waiting period you spoke of then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once you coat the gelatin is not immediately hard. It can wash off the paper when you process it. You have to wait for any hardener to react and that takes hours or days depending. You should not coat on top of the sizing for that same amount of time so that the coating layer does not ruin the sizing layer.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin