Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,737   Online: 881

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Guys,
    I must admit that I now feel foolish for starting this thread on a subject about which I know little.(Dye Transfer) That takes care of the Matrix Film as far as I am concerned. On the other hand, Jim's idea of loading pigment into panchro emulsions, be they gelatin or polymer based, is still of great interest to me. After I make my next batch of emulsion I will do some initial testing using commercial pigment despersions. If that works out, great. But if light transmision proves to be a problem, I have many years of "proffesional" experience in pigment dispersion for for photoresists. I am familiar with what Drew is talking about. I might actualy purchase a benchtop three-roll mill.
    Once I have begun I will begin posting results here. But. That will be at least three weeks from now.
    OTOH , someone could decide to pursue matix film and receiving medium based on gelatin emulsions. Why not?
    Jim already has the matrix formula published. Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    This sounds like a very good assessment of the situation, specifically regarding the amino groups. Not something I know much about, but definitely, the DT mechanism relies on a special relationship between certain types of dyes & gelatin protein.

And regarding, That is certainly my understanding as well. I've transferred magenta dye to a fixed-out (non-hardening) FB paper and the density is very good, but diffusion is terrible! The mechanism of imbibition though, relies on this pH gradient and not a mordant.

Speaking of which... you can buy thorium nitrate on eBay for fairly low prices. Not that I'm even considering such an endeavor..
    Read the responses I posted and that Jim Browning posted.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always read what has been posted by you two, and I didn't mean to gloss over it in my post. I do think, though, that it's the gelatin-to-gelatin transfer that should be considered the "fundamental" mechanism. To me it seems like the mordanting aspect is an improvement, not an embodiment of dye-imbibition itself, which can be demonstrated in the simplest form with a gelatin relief, dye and any absorbent surface.

So as far as Bill is concerned, the crux is whether PVA will act similarly to gelatin in its ability to absorb a dye solution, and that's what T-grain was addressing originally.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello All,
    Since I,prematurely at best, started this thread, I have read much speculation and no hard evidence. I should have done some experiments. Then either opened my big mouth,or not.
    When I first started my goal of making a panchromatic emulsion, I got more discouragement than encouragement, to say the least. When I started using silane treated PVA instead of gelatin , the same. Fortuneately, I kept going anyway.
    I am not saying that the reasons set fouth in this thread, for the inpractability of of what I asked about are not correct. They probably are correct. That is why I am puting this whole topic away, for now. And I have more promissing things that I can do with my time. If I ever decide to pursue anything having to do with dye transfer, I might well return to gelatin in order to work with what has already worked.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the risk of saying too much (which I'm wont to do), I'll simply add that regardless of the workability your proposal, the proposal itself has sparked a valuable discussion.

Sometimes the most interesting stuff comes about when people speak before they think, contrary to what countless elementary school teachers and mothers have always told us!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jack Denim as just posted a very relavent artical on Jim's Yahoo Forum "Dye Transfer.
    Bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin