Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,833   Online: 1061

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Acrylic glass? I have never read of such a thing. Please explain. There is clear acrylic sheets. I this what you are wring about?
    Bill

Isn't acrylic glass another name for plexiglass or lucite?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SebastianKrauss View Post
    I don't think that you can obtain it as thin film. I'm using 1,5mm thick plates right now, which are the thinnest the company I got them from (already cut to the right size) could provide. They fit in a regular sheet film holder nicely if you stick them in with a bit of tape. That's ideal for my testing. If I can make them work, I'd prefer them to normal glass for several reasons. Next step is hardening the emulsion and maybe NAOH treatment before coating if hardening doesn't prove to be sufficient (but my feeling is that it might not be necessary).

The monkey sits on my workbench in the darkroom and is a good test object. However today I printed the images of my first outdoor test which give a better idea how the stuff behaves. These are not try yet, I'll scan them tomorrow. I'm not happy with the Rollei emulsion. Even on an overcast day, contrast is extremely high. I shot them around Iso 0,25/0,5, developed the plates in Rodinal 1:100 for a few minutes only and printed with grade 0 to 1,5. That produces an usable image but nothing special. But it is OK for the first tests.

Best,
    Sebastian

PS: I think I've learned most of the information on your website by heart. This will prove to be a huge help when I start to produce my own emulsion. Same applies to all the information PE provided here. Thanks to both of you.

This is even better news than film. I don't think subbed polyester is going anywhere, but having a non-glass option that fits in a sheet film holder could make it easier for more people to try dry plate photography. It can be a challenge to pull together enough plate holders for a big weekend of shooting, especially in any size except 4x5, and film coating takes a bit more practice than plate coating to get good results (at least in my experience.) I'm really glad you've taken this on as a project. Keep up the great work and reporting!
    (Glad you like TLF . Thanks!)
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The best plate regarding tones until now (I have already had better coatings):

Best,
    Sebastian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11951524614_e4d979e802_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	501.3 KB 
ID:	80169

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sheet plastic can warp over time, and it might be hard to get it to lie flat for printing. IDK, just a thought.

Pouring plates is tedious. I have a plate coater and a film coater which allows rapid coating of sheets or plates in 4x5 size. Basically, I get 2 4x5 sheets (or longer if you wish) or 3 plates in one pass. I have shown them here on APUG and also in the DVD, the book and at Workshops.

The point is that something can be done to speed up output.

PE

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin