Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,000   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I would like to have one of these...

Yes, yes, I know - I nabbed the picture from the internet (or at least the eminent Light Farm), but I wonder...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dingsboms.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	53975

...where can I get one of these contraptions made? Preferably in Europe but if I have to get somewhere else, so be it.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it would help if you'd tell us what it is or does. Looks like something you could assemble from the wares of any good chemistry lab supply house ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It all looks like standard laboratory supplies. Google it.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It looks pretty easy to make -

1) Rubber Bulb
    1) length of rubber tubing
    1) Test Tube, I'm guessing it's about 20 x 150 mm in size.
    1) Rubber Stopper, two hole, get a #3 size to fit the 20 x 150 mm test tube.
    2) some 5mm glass tubing. 5 mm should fit the holes in the stopper nicely.
    1) propane torch.
    1) triangular glass file to cut the glass tubing.

Light the torch, stand it up, have your glass already cut to length, and then heat it up and bend the tubes to match what's shown. To make the dropper tip, heat the glass and pull the tubing apart until it's thin but don't pull it all the way apart. When it's cooled, us the file to nick the glass and then wrap it in a paper towel and pull the ends of the tube away from each other with a slight bending motion at the same time. Some people think that wetting the spot there the glass is nicked will help it break...

Also remember to fire polish the ends of the glass where it has been cut.

It's probably best to watch some youtube to see how to bend and cut glass tubing. Something like this:
    http://youtu.be/P-ldT5-aDiM

Wear safety goggles when working glass.

It's a 10 minute project once you have all the items.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=summicron1;1367484]it would help if you'd tell us what it is or does./QUOTE]

It's a cheap, manual pump.

When you squeeze the rubber bulb, air pressure pushs liquid up and out the glass tube with the dropper end. Squeeze hard and a lot of liquid shoots out, sqeeze real gentle and you can add it drop-wise. When you release the pressure on the rubber bulb, air comes back into the test tube via the dropper end to replace the volume of liquid that was squeezed out.
    Kirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also use a wash bottle - squeeze the bottle to dispense or add an extra tube and squeeze bulb:
    http://www.bioexpress.com/divinity-c...es-LDPE/1.html

The proper way to do this is a burette:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polylab%C2%AE-...ywords=burette (you can probably find it cheaper...try ebay)
    Set the burette to drip the stuff into the beaker at the right rate - a drop is around 0.05ml, so 1 ml/minute is a drop every 3 seconds or so. The burette is graduated to allow accurate measurement of the flow rate. The educational supply places sell kits with a stand, burette and burette clamp.

You can make a half-arsed version with a funnel, some plastic tubing and a buldog clamp.

Here's a really cheap way of getting a drip dispense - an IV drip kit:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-100mL-Bur...item231e8abe2d
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 07-15-2012 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks gentlemen for ideas and instructions how to make one - much appreciated!

Maybe I can have someone make one - or most probably, I'll just buy a burette (thanks for the proper technical term!) right off.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not standard equipment you will have to make your own. It would take some one who is familiar with glass blowing about 10 minutes to polish the ends of the glass tubing, make the nozzle and the two bends. Every university I am familiar with has a glass blower in residence. With a few kind words he might do the work for you.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-16-2012 at 12:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post

Wear safety goggles when working glass.
    When working with soft glass you really need to use special glasses which filter out the strong sodium ion glare from the hot glass. This not only allows you to see what you are doing but protects your retinas. Without them you get something like snow blindness. Very painful and possiblely damaging. These glasses use special didymium lenses.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-16-2012 at 12:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Gerald - good point. But for making just a couple bends and polishing a few ends, you can get away without using the didymium glasses.

But you're right about the glasses, and they also help you better see the glass while it's in the flame.
    Kirk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin