Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,261   Online: 753

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris is indeed here and we have spent 2 nights studying emulsion design and 2 nights working on a bromo-iodide formula from Mark Osterman. More later. Chris is having problems getting consistent access to the internet, and there are other things that Chris may share with you all.

Mark and I are both keeping him busy.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Consistent access to the internet?

...oh right, Rochester...

K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Chris is indeed here and we have spent 2 nights studying emulsion design and 2 nights working on a bromo-iodide formula from Mark Osterman. More later. Chris is having problems getting consistent access to the internet, and there are other things that Chris may share with you all.

Mark and I are both keeping him busy.

PE
    Great news Ron. I was wondering how things were "developing" haha. (shoot me now please).
    The thread got bumped yesterday and got we wondering.

Chris, if you've only skied west & the rockies, dont bother with the east unless you can get up into Canada… the Laurentians maybe.
    It really is mostly sheet ice anywhere south of there and no powder like you know from out west.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Chris
    you lucky dog!
    best of luck
    rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey guys!

I apologize for being so scarce around APUG these days. I've just been busy as hell it seems like, and adjusting to a new city. My goal is to get in a routine of posting a couple times a week with what we're working on, and learning.

Like Ron said, I've got a bromo-iodide emulsion in my refrigerator and we're going to coat it next week. We're gonna do glass plates, film and paper, and see how it fares. As Eastman said, "Pray for the emulsion!" This is a good plate formula, but Ron wants to see if it's suitable for paper, so we'll do some tests on that. Being able to pick Ron's brain in person is a treat; we've been having fun and I know we're both excited to focus more on emulsion making.

Mostly however I've been helping with Mark Osterman and Nick B., fellow intern and Mark's apprentice. We've already had two workshops in the first 3 weeks since I've been here; 35mm daguerreotype and carbon printing. Daguerreotype (Bequerel at least) is really quite simple (and safe), and I want to give it a go myself. Carbon printing is the bee's knees, and the practical experience coming down from Mark has been great; so many little things that you have to learn by doing.

Today and yesterday though, we're cleaning out the darkrooms in preparation for setting up a bonified emulsion lab. Some seriously amazing stuff is lurking in the cupboards here!

The attached picture is a hand truck we filled with old paper/film. Some might be usable, a lot of it is great paper for fixing out, but in whole it represents a bunch of silver! Thinking about filling a kiddy pool with fixer and reclaiming the Ag to finance some of this..

More later, cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GEH Photo Paper.JPG  
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes! Fix it out and use it for carbon printing!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Great.
    May this torch run even further. Thanks to all of you for giving this fire alive.

And to holmburgers I would just suggest he writes this statement by Leonardo da Vinci in his room:

Tristo è quel discepolo che non sopravanza lo suo Maestro.
    A poor disciple is he who doesn't overcome his Master.

Ad maiora!

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be right over Chris. I see some paper I need!

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Chris I will be in Rochester to visit you folks in Jan , I am glad you are finding your way there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=holmburgers;1411173]

Today and yesterday though, we're cleaning out the darkrooms in preparation for setting up a bonified emulsion lab. Some seriously amazing stuff is lurking in the cupboards here!
    QUOTE]

And some seriously cool news about the emulsion lab! I've been developing a new set of recipes that I'd love to see peer reviewed. When you're up and running would you consider a part time job as a test lab? I'll supply the silver nitrate .

Congrats on a great move, Chris.
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin