Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,596   Online: 993

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Silver Grain Size and If 1 to 100 nanometers ,why we dont see plasmon color ?

What is the minimum grain size in BW Film Emulsions ? If they are smaller than 100 nanometers , why we dont see them in color from plasmonic effect ?

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I suppose you need to make a grid (or some other kind of a repeating pattern) of particles to see such effects. In film the grains are randomly positioned. if your plasmonic effects aren't a kind of interference image then I'm mistaken.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Lukas,

You are correct at your guess, its not related to interference but the resonation of electrons at nanopowder size particles and release a new color.

Umut

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think we do. The size and distribution of particles produce Carey Lea silver which is yellow to red for instance. It is necessary to have effects that are specific to some portion of the visible spectrum to see a color, and most collections of particles have a wide size distribution, but not all. Aperiodic location aids visualization of the so-called plasmonic effect. Periodic order produces diffraction patterns that are independent (mainly) of particle size. Resonance (like quantum dots) and Mie scattering both contribute to color but are different in principle.

http://microphonium.blogspot.com/201...d-patents.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Could you guys refresh the memory on what this discussion is all about. Some wonderful photographic miracle, I expect, but in all truth, the significance is lost on me. Holography?? Color screens?? (I plead groggy stupidity from too much holiday cheer.)
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Too much sipping, Denise?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Too much sipping, Denise?
    (Inside joke: I recently asked Vaughn to send me his sipping costs on a box of photo goodies he put together for TLF. He suggested a payment in Scotch! But, yes, too much sipping and eating, starting Friday with the best Solstice party ever. Carrots and water for me for a couple of days!)

Hope everyone had a great time,
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Hi,

Could you guys refresh the memory on what this discussion is all about. Some wonderful photographic miracle, I expect, but in all truth, the significance is lost on me. Holography?? Color screens?? (I plead groggy stupidity from too much holiday cheer.)
    d
    With the decline and expected demise of color emulsions, there is a renewed interest in known chromophores and materials that are like dyes and are being used in the so-called nanotech sector, today. I work in that field and Umut has found several interesting articles and papers about photonic effects of nanoparticles, for instance. Reading through these, it is exciting to see today's researchers refer to such things as silver halides. (even though they sometimes act like they discovered them).

Our group and others are working or seriously studying new and alternative color processes. For instance, we have a direct positive monochrome process that we think could also be used for color. It is very unlike anything produced before and uses nanotech techniques. A lot happens at the photonic scale where sizes of things such as thin films and particles are in the order of 200nm to about 2000nm in size.

It is all about making film for film cameras, such as 4x5 cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool. Good luck!
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Bob

I would be very interested in hearing about your process for colour.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCrowley View Post
    With the decline and expected demise of color emulsions, there is a renewed interest in known chromophores and materials that are like dyes and are being used in the so-called nanotech sector, today. I work in that field and Umut has found several interesting articles and papers about photonic effects of nanoparticles, for instance. Reading through these, it is exciting to see today's researchers refer to such things as silver halides. (even though they sometimes act like they discovered them).

Our group and others are working or seriously studying new and alternative color processes. For instance, we have a direct positive monochrome process that we think could also be used for color. It is very unlike anything produced before and uses nanotech techniques. A lot happens at the photonic scale where sizes of things such as thin films and particles are in the order of 200nm to about 2000nm in size.

It is all about making film for film cameras, such as 4x5 cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin