Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,211   Online: 923

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Stannous Chloride

Hi Chemists! Maybe you can help with this.

Today on the discard pile at work I found a 4 oz., sealed bottle of Fisher branded Stannous Chloride dihydrate. Since I know that SnCl2 can be used for reduction sensitization and as a foggant for E-6 processing, I grabbed it. From the looks of the bottle I would say it is from the 60s or 70s, but it was sealed until I opened it.

Now looking up online, it appears that to make a solution of SnCl2 it can be dissolved in 1M HCl. So I went ahead and made 100ml of a 1M HCl (ok, muriatic acid from Lowes) solution and tried dissolving 0.5 g SnCl2. Rather than dissolving a white precipitate seems to form: looks like a fine powder suspended in the liquid. And advice on getting the stuff to dissolve or is this normal? I have it heating a bit now but that doesn't appear to be helping.

Maybe the stuff is too old and no good anymore. IDK why they would have had the stuff. We're having a clean out event at work and guess they didn't know either so they tossed it.

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like the stannous chloride has undergone hydrolysis. A way to prevent this is to have a few small pieces of tin metal in the bottle.

SnCl2 + H2O --> Sn(OH)Cl + HCl

When you opened the bottle was there an odor of hydrogen chloride?
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-27-2012 at 08:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No, there really wasn't any odor at all.

Well, if it's no good it isn't any great loss.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin