Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,492   Online: 918

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by falotico View Post
    Frankly, I don't think anything is more dangerous than gasoline, and people buy tons of that. Why Germany should restrict KBr escapes me except that bromides will put people to sleep. It might have an illicit recreational use. Possibly bromine can haloginate organic chemicals used in the manufacture of street drugs. They restricted the sale of iodine crystals in Calif. because people were using it in some recipes for meth. But silver nitrate is a very useful chemical. The danger to the public is slight.
    Here in Oregon, we're not allowed to pump our own gas (which I'm just fine with!) Pumping your own gas is crazy, nuts dangerous .

The goofy quirks of people's notions, and the regulations that end up codified around them can be a serious annoyance and nuisance, but they also help keep the globe from becoming completely homogenized. Keeps things interesting.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise;

Way back in the day..... one of the guys that worked for me said that a woman drove away with the hose still in her tank and pulled the pump off the support and started a rather toasty fire. So, I agree with you.

Each state has a bunch of messy laws just as they have in Europe I guess.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Denise,
    No one need wory about the world becoming "homogenized" as long as there be people such as you around. In fact, imagine a world of "wildbillbugman" duplicates. Scares the pulp ouda me!
    Bill
    PE - I did the gasoline hose thing once. I was in a gas station "convenience store" and had just finished smart-mouthing a COP for eating a donut and coffee in the store. I walked out (without a donut),gased up and drove off with the hose attached to my car. No fire. The hose came off of the pump, probably because a whole lot of crazy californians had done the same. The attendant came out and said that it hapens fairly often. The COP stayed in the store.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    BTW, KBr was used as a tranquilizer for people befor some odd side reactions were discovered. Bromoseltzer used to have real Br in it. The KBr is still used for dogs and cats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was a kid, the saying "that is an old bromide" was used to infer a story that put one to sleep.

Don't gas up in NYS. The pumps are not set up for such as you! They apparently don't release.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PE- The hoses in NYS have to be permanently attaced to the pump, or people would be stealing them all the time. I do not know what people would do with them. But New Yorkers would think of some way to sell them. Probably right back to the station they were stolen from in the first place.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quick update:

Henk Mantel (Polder) has finished his list of vendors for emulsion making materials in the EU. It is an excellent resource and should put to rest any fears that handcrafted silver gelatin is out of reach of Europeans. Thanks, Henk!

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Inde...emicalList.htm

Also, I've finished the first tutorial -- KCl Gaslight Paper. I hope there are some folks here who will finally dive in and make paper. In a month, we'll tackle dry plate. I have my fingers crossed that some of the younger members will give things a go. It would be very exciting to see fresh eyes making fresh art.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/TLFT...-emulsions.htm

d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fresh eyes- Fresh start- fresh art

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Quick update:

Henk Mantel (Polder) has finished his list of vendors for emulsion making materials in the EU. It is an excellent resource and should put to rest any fears that handcrafted silver gelatin is out of reach of Europeans. Thanks, Henk!

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Inde...emicalList.htm

Also, I've finished the first tutorial -- KCl Gaslight Paper. I hope there are some folks here who will finally dive in and make paper. In a month, we'll tackle dry plate. I have my fingers crossed that some of the younger members will give things a go. It would be very exciting to see fresh eyes making fresh art.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/TLFT...-emulsions.htm

d
    Hi to you all,

Thank you Denise, for your kind words.
    The list of vendors is still in need of expanding. So If anyone out here has more addresses, please. The list has been compiled in a short time because of the help of a couple of people here, thanks.
    Funny thing is, that there is no info from France ( mes chers amis, aidez moi s.v.p,), there should be members in Hungary,( kedves Magyar, hol van a gyar, az üzlet, köszönöm) I tried to contact firms in more southern countries in Europe, no reactions. One reaction from Sweden: only readymade.

Concerning the eyes: mine are a bit worn, but in a couple of months time the first results may very well be fresh art made by fresh eyes. Art as always : for eyes to see that can.

Henk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, a mistake in my english,

I meant fresh art not made by me

Henk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henk;

You may want to talk to Mirko directly at Fotoimpex. As I mentioned, he has added photo grade gelatin to his line of chemicals as well as a very fine Baryta paper. He has access to many other photographic chemicals and may either point you in a direction that is useful or may be able to get it for you directly.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin