Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,905   Online: 940

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more question. Is making your own photographic paper cheaper than purchasing or not? I wouldn't be doing this for saving money, I'm just curious.
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good work Denise.

Mark and I will be teaching a course in March. I urge you all, interested in emulsion making, to take the workshop at George Eastman House. http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/d...orkshop-3-2013

The person in the photo is a student at our last workshop and is an Academy Award winner!

We have some great people coming to GEH to learn about photography. Join us for an amazing experience!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sweet...I love this site. I'm currently trying to get a darkroom set up and this is the kind of thing I would love to be doing. THanks for the awesome resource!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    One more question. Is making your own photographic paper cheaper than purchasing or not? I wouldn't be doing this for saving money, I'm just curious.
    Thanks,
    Kenton,

The short answer is "it depends."

Here's the long answer: The papers I use most frequently are Arches HP 90 lb and 140 lb. At Dick Blick right now they're $4.19 and $4.83 per 22"x30" sheet. I keep my eyes (and inbox) open for specials, especially the free shipping ones, so I end up paying less, but let's say $4.50 a sheet. I use 2-1/2 sheets per recipe that calls for 5 grams of silver nitrate. I get eight to ten 8x10-inch sheets, plus enough selvage for test strips (or a lot of 5x7 pieces.) That comes out to $11.25 for paper and approximately $5 for silver nitrate = $1.50 to $2.25 per 8x10 piece of printing paper).

Beyond the one-time cost of the tools, paper and silver nitrate are the only real expenses. Depending on what you can raid from your kitchen, and how many of the items I listed you might need to talk to Santa about, (http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/html...tent=02Dec2012) the equipment costs to start up will range from zip to less than $250. Since you need some of the tools and materials even if you're printing with commercial paper, how you count those costs is an individual matter, as is your philosophy of amortization.

Another factor in determining cost is the value you place on time. Making your own materials isn't "efficient" in the sense we've all come to expect efficiency. No craft is. Having said that, basic paper pulls together really fast. If you don't count drying time, I spend less time per recipe than I do making a loaf of bread.

Last but not least, as you hinted, what price satisfaction, or heck, just plain fun?

Hope you give this a try!
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just to add to what Denise said, the complexity of the emulsion process at a basic level is about the same as baking a cake from scratch. (raw ingredients vs a "box cake") Now that level of effort isn't going to get you "Tri-X from your basement," but it will get you something quite usable. After that, it is how much do you want to experiment or try to invent so it's up to you.

Also 50 or 100 grams of silver nitrate goes quite a long way. My last batch of TLF2 has given 7 120 rolls plus extra used for testing, single frames, etc,. for 6 grams AgNO3. Total materials involved in that batch probably cost under $10 (US).

P.S. the term "proof" in regards to liquor gives the alcohol content. It is double the actual percentage of alcohol. So 100 proof is 50% alcohol.

P.P.S Thanks for the word on Chemsavers. Have bought from them through eBay but did not know they had a web site. Watch them for AgNO3. Occasionally they have a sale on it.
    Last edited by kb3lms; 12-07-2012 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lastly, one other (OT) thing I will post here since this thread is getting some traffic.

CHEMSAVERS on eBay has listed at this moment 250mg of 1,1′-Diethyl-4,4′-carbocyanine Iodide, otherwise known as kryptocyanine for $27 plus shipping. This is one of the sensitizing dyes on PE's list and, IIRC, is a sensitizer for the red and near infrared. Go on eBay and search on "carbocyanine."

This is why I say to watch eBay. Maybe it is available through their website as well.

I'm not going after panchromatic emulsions at this time so I'm not picking it up but thought someone else in the forum might be interested.

Now, back to the topic...

-- Jason
    Last edited by kb3lms; 12-07-2012 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the scratch cake v. box cake analogy. Spot on.

Need to clarify an important point though. It's a frustrating (to me) source of confusion.

"Silver gelatin emulsions" is a big universe, covering not just space (i.e. products available commercially today), but also time (i.e. products available at different times since 1880.) That part is pretty general knowledge. What can be confusing are the very real differences between paper emulsions (almost all neutral, unwashed, unsensitized -- don't worry about what those terms mean now: all will be revealed! -- just think old-timey) and negative materials emulsions -- which range from basic dry plate to the most sophisticated modern film.

A basic paper emulsion (minimal tools and materials), well-coated, is virtually indistinguishable from commercial. I often compare a handmade recipe to Lodima paper and if I coat on glossy, commercial baryta, I have to make sure I take careful notes as I process or I won't able to tell which is which after the prints are dry.

It's possible to leave "hand of the maker" tells on handmade paper, but that is a creative decision, not a technical default.
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! Scott and Jason for the info about Chemsavers. They're a great resource that has managed to escape my notice. No longer. Bookmarked!
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is Bostick and Sullivan on your list? I have found decent prices on some things there, such as gold chloride.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good to see things moving along! All thumbs up!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin