Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,489   Online: 897

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kenton,

Yup, that's the stuff. I will have a shopping list ready by the end of the weekend. Meant to have it earlier, but I've been having way too much holiday fun! Every time I sit down at the computer, someone yells, "Stop working!!"
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, I'll cool my jets and wait for the the list. Enjoy the time with your family!
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Denise that true panchromaticity is a bridge too far for us right now.

Denise;

For the fog, I suggest a tad of TAI. You can get it from the Formulary. Use it as described by Jim Browning in his formula or in my book.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent idea. TAI hasn't been in my toolbox yet, but it's probably time. I try to attack the basic ingredients and cooking procedures first. I've been thinking of TAI like going on blood pressure medication before you try diet and exercise! But, I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the push.
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is an experiment to try.

Coat the foggy emulsion and then add 1 drop of TAI. You now have 90 ml of emulsion with 1 D Tai assuming 100 ml of TAI free emulsion. Now coat that. Add 1 D. Now you have 80 ml of TAI + 2 D assuming 10 ml / coating and etc. At the end of the series, test. The first low fog is the one you want. So, if 80 ml with 3 D is best then that is your aim, or just use what Jim Browning uses.

If you overshoot, you lose speed. Not a big problem for uss though.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Been quiet, but I've been following this in the background. The holidays have kept us busy this year but I have found some time to keep things moving along.

I've been thinking of TAI like going on blood pressure medication before you try diet and exercise!
    Actually, I don't think that is the case. As you guys know, I have been fooling with controlling vAg and trying to get a handle on the process of a more controlled make. As the emulsion becomes more "precise", it also gets more touchy. I'd think about TAI more like a fuel additive to make your Porsche run better. One thing I am finding is that during digestion you go along taking 3 or 4 samples at 10 minute intervals with no fog and them all of a sudden "BAM" and there it is leaving you with a foggy emulsion you barely think you can use.

I haven't used TAI yet either, but I wonder if TAI gives you a chance to control the fog?

PE, you imply above that TAI could be added to an already fogged (as in over-digested) emulsion to salvage it to some extent? Is that correct?

TAI is a component of nearly every commercial (as in patents) formula I have read lately. Tani says we can use PMT or BZAT, too. He talks about PMT and TAI but doesn't say much about BZAT other than to say it can be used. BZAT has been of some help in D-76 to reduce fog but I have not tried adding it to the emulsion.

Guess I have to put TAI on my shopping list as well.

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE!!

PE, Thanks! TAI test info copied and filed with my recipe to try at first opportunity.

Kenton, The 1st installment of "Getting Started" is posted.

Safe highways and byways to all!
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason;

TAI is the industry standard for "fixing" or controlling fog in emulsions. Yes, you can repair overly fogged emulsions. TAI is superb as a pH 7.2 solution which we called NAZ (Sodium salt of TAI). A drop or so will reduce fog.

Benzotraizole and Phenyl Mercapto Tetrazole are good too (BTAZ and PMT) and both are stocked by the Formulary.

Last time I was out there, I made them a batch of TAI solution and they should have some for sale. I have no license to ship this stuff so get the chemistry from them. I am trying to build up a stock of emulsion chemistry with them and here at home. Those coming to workshops here can get the stuff from me as samples.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi to you all,

I would like to join in but in trying to order the chemicals in Germany all the time I get the answer : we are not allowed to sell to private persons. The internet, or the way I use it, doesn┤t give any answers.
    So does anyone have any experience with an internetshop in Germany?

Thanks

v.d. Polder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try to contact Fotoimpex. They may carry some of this.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin