Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,243   Online: 928

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There seems to be a lot of wet plate work in Europe. Does anyone know where those folks get their silver nitrate? I would think/i.e. totally guess that would be the only real "issue chemical".
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I buy my films and paper at Fotoimpex, they donŽt mention silvernitrate in their cataloque, I mailed them a couüple of days ago, but got no answer yet.

Thanks a lot,

p

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many new items or small moving items are often not in catalogs. A question will get you to the right person.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

Thank you. IŽll phone them Monday.

P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quinn Jacobson, the outstanding wet plate photographer and teacher (and all-around great guy) sent me this:

"There are several places he can get chemistry. The easiest and best price would be a place in Darmstadt - Wolfang Moersch Chemicals - http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/. He also has other contacts in the area. Have him contact Wolfgang.

I hope that helps."

And thank you, Quinn, for your help!
    (see Quinn's beautiful art here: http://studioq.com/)
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You all may be interested in the fact that Mirko, of Fotoimpex fame, has been in contact with many of the former Agfa people and has the ability to get most all photochemicals for emulsion making. That is whey I suggested contacting Fotoimpex. He may be willing to supply these and I am sure that he can get his hands on them very easily.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format

Chemicals

Hi to you all

I am very greatfull for all the help i am being given. IŽll contact the firm tomorrow.

If in turn I gather some relevant information, IŽll report back.

Thanks,

p

Shooter
    Large Format

Emulsion Tutorials

Great Idea Denise

Hope this cultivates a larger community of active gelatin emulsion makers. The more people who make emulsions, the greater the chance that this great technology will survive. Hard to be in Rochester and watch the industry being taken apart brick by brick. I'd love to see the new gelatin photography culture grow to be as poplular as all the other hand applied photographic processes. Good luck with the new emulsion "school." One day, we'll have enough interest and experience to hold a symposium. :-)

Best,

Mark

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    There seems to be a lot of wet plate work in Europe. Does anyone know where those folks get their silver nitrate? I would think/i.e. totally guess that would be the only real "issue chemical".
    I have said this before, and want to repeat it: I want to seek photographic asylum in the States!!

Denise: Here in Europe (and certainly here in Denmark) ALL chemistry are "issue chemicals"!
    I can get some, as I work as a teacher in a school, but as a private person: forget it!

For some chemicals, ex potassium dichromate, I even have to seek police permit to get it....

We're all potential terrorists - or the Nanny society wants to protect us and our neighbourgs... or we have to protect the nature.. take your pick.

(I had a student from Italy: he told he liked his country, as everything is forbidden, but nobody cares.... )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had many notes from people complaining that they cannot get Silver Nitrate in Europe, as it is classified as a dangerous chemical. Therefore, they cannot make emulsions. This is going to continue to be an increasing problem world-wide as the anti-chemistry trend grows.

Add to that the fact that the price of chemicals we can get, and the shipping costs are going up as well.

I am very sorry to see this happen.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin