Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,521,009   Online: 808

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Nooby plate questions

Hello all,

I amazed myself when i realized that I could actually resume my plate coating fun in my little bathroom blackroom, with a rigged up drying box.

Now I have some really stupid questions;

How do you plate guys (safely) store your plates? I'm only doing 4x5 dry plate, but I want to soon try 8x10 dry plate

What's an appropriate fixing time for liquid light? Is 5 minutes with strong fixer enough, with a perma wash and 5 minute rinse at the end? It certainly clears it, but the emulsion is thick, so IDK...

Also, I came across the phrase "Over-Cooking" liquid light... Is there a maximum temperature that should not be exceeded when doing this? I'm using some expired liquid light, and seem to be getting reduced speed and fog, but i'm not sure if that's age or over-cooking. When I put it in my really old Dektol 1:1, it flashes up a great looking neg, and then the fog sets in FAST. I don't pull it early, because what you see isn't what you get with red lights and dev by inspection i've noticed...

I just shot a plate, i'm gonna try rodinal 1:50 to see it that cuts down on the fog.

Thanks!
    Last edited by EASmithV; 02-19-2013 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, 600ml Rodinal 1:50 just started burning up the edges of the plate without developing the image. I added 100ml of old Dektol 1:1 and it saved the plate, but i tried another with 600ml rodinal 1:50 and 200ml Dektol, and that actually worked out quite nicely. much better contrast.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Is there a maximum temperature that should not be exceeded when doing this?
    I usually aim to melt at around 40-45C, but only a small quantity at a time. Using a plastic knife, slice, chop, and gouge lumps out of the original bottle and place in a small jar. Add an equal volume of water and melt. Repeated melting of the original bottle will (according to the instruction leaflet) will increase the fog levels, as will extended storage in poor conditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wait, so you are diluting your emulsion with water before coating?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes. I also add a drop or two of alcohol at times in an attempt to reduce bubbles. Quite often, I'll do a second coating of emulsion once the first has dried.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin