Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,922   Posts: 1,584,978   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    We had people from the left coast as well as England attend. It's like that with all our workshops. Denise Ross is much closer to you...ask her to do a workshop.

Shooter
    Large Format

More Images from our Recent Emulsion Workshops

More pictures from our two recent bromide emulsion workshops. We had a real mix of crazy weather both weeks. Still, we made over 100 negatives and had some very nice test plates.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Positive GelBro WorkshopAPUG.jpg   Robert's Neg APUG.jpg   Viewing on ComputerAPUG.jpg   Workshop negs on light table 2013APUG.jpg   Workshop Positive APUGjpg.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Looking good! Thanks for the share!
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Mark/Ron/Nick/Chris - Thanks for all you do to teach others! Looks like fun! Rochester might be calling one day...
    Yes, I'd like to thank you all for your hard work running the workshop! I really enjoyed it and look forward to making the emulsion we learned at home (I' gathering what I need)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can I ask a silly question, I've never considered making my own emulsion to coat plates, film, paper, etc., but why does it seem that the workshops I have seen that create materials create types that are not often avail (eg a bromide only paper, which I believe is only made in matte by Slavich, AZO which only one company sells, or a slow ISO film 25 or so - which is not even made anymore, I think)? See my point? It's like these workshops teach how to make materials that are limited or impossible to get!

Disclosure - I'm a fan of slooooowwwww film and bromide paper! Why's it seem the few places making this kind of great goods is at these kind of workshops?! I think you all are drawing me in

Would love to make a tips to Rochester to see where it all began ( in the states at least)
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy;

Each emulsion is specific to a given target purpose. Also, you cannot run before you walk. So, you learn in stages and you move in the direction you want most. A paper emulsion is AgCl or AgClBr. A film emulsion is AgBr or AgBrI and the method to make them is different.

So, if you ever get oranges from an apple tree, let me know!

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Makes sense. I just want to see one of you all selling these neat materials!
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually I had no problem finding the chemicals required at Artcraft Chemicals or Photographer's Formulary with the exception of thymol. I spoke to a nice lady at Photographers Formulary today and she said suppliers only want to sell them huge amounts which used to not be the case. The only expensive material is, as you'd expect, silver nitrate. Is there a substitute preserative for thymol???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can do without Thymol if you use the emulsion right away (within about 1 month). After that, all bets are off.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    It was a great workshop.
    I am now shooting with my 2nd home brewed batch of emulsion. I tried slowing down the injection of the silver nitrate. No noticeable speed increase.

Please keep me informed if there is an advanced class next year. Thanks.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin