Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,669   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Our Recent Silver Bromide Gelatin Emulsion Workshop

Looking Back at the Recent Workshop

We scheduled a four day silver bromide gelatin emulsion workshop at George Eastman House this March and the response was very encouraging. Soon after posting our 2013 workshop series we filled the first workshop ... and with the people on the "wait list" we had enough to schedule a second session for the next week. The premise was simple; to teach the very basics of silver bromide emulsion making. Nothing fast; just easy to make and clean working. In the past two years we had already taught workshops in Gas Light [AZO] silver chloride emulsion for paper and Collodion Chloride printing out emulsion, so this seemed to be the next step.

Each four day workshop when like this. With the help of volunteer research assistants Nick Brandreth and Chris Holmquist and my good friend Ron Mowrey, we demonstrated how to make an actual emulsion with the lights on so that it was easier for the class to see and also to take reference pictures. We then divided the class into two groups that made their own emulsions in separate darkrooms with the help of Nick/Ron and Dave/me. After the first day we had our emulsions, which were noodled and washed the next morning.

Glass plates were cut, cleaned, coated and dried. While they dried the entire group went to the photograph archives to see masterworks of gelatin silver prints and early hand coated negative plates. They also saw rare antique emulsion making and coating equipment from the Eastman Dry Plate and Eastman Kodak Company in the technology collection. After the plates were dry, the class made exposures using an old 4x5" press camera on the Eastman House property. The test plates were developed and processed and the dried plates evaluated the next day. The rest of the workshop provided the class enough time for everyone to coat, expose and process eight 4x5 plates..followed by evaluation and class discussions which included the theory of how to make the same emulsion more sensitive. At the end of the last day Chris gave a demonstration of coating paper and subbed film stock.

We were very pleased with the pace of our schedule, the energy of the groups and the great results. All the groups made emulsions that were virtually fog free, had amazing density potential and could be used for a variety of printing options depending on the developer choice. We'll schedule this workshop again for 2014 and we're contemplating adding a more advanced class [faster speed and increased spectral sensitivity] if we see that there's interest and people who have already basic skills. If we do this, it will no doubt include using a film coating machine for 2 1/4 and 35 mm.

I've attached a few images from the workshop.

Mark

Our next emulsion workshop is in May featuring collodion chloride printing out paper emulsion with both gold and platinum toning. The easiest emulsion to make and produces a very sophisticated factory like finish. See: http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/e...hoto-workshops
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nick and Ron making emulsionFB APUG.jpg   Haven's NegativeAPUG.jpg   LaurasNegativeGEH2013 APUG.jpg   Wratten filter coaterAPUG.jpg   Emulsion Group I 2013 APUG.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is soooo cool...

(That can't be PE in the background, can it? He looks so young.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 It's damn cool.

Those of us on the west coast are green with envy!!!!!! I know I am. I wish we could have had such a workshop in the Pacific NW!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mark/Ron/Nick/Chris - Thanks for all you do to teach others! Looks like fun! Rochester might be calling one day...
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Mark/Ron/Nick/Chris - Thanks for all you do to teach others! Looks like fun! Rochester might be calling one day...

+1
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I met with Ron and Chris a couple of months back and saw some of their coated prints, very exciting work , Ron is wonderful to talk with as he is very forthcoming with ideas and advice.
    Chris is a great dude as well and is coming to work with Ron Reeder, Sandy King here in Toronto for a couple of weeks. We plan to keep him very busy for the two weeks he is in our hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bob. Thanks Mark.

We hope to have many more of these workshops, and we are always happy to meet with people, as long as schedules permit.

Both Mark and I have run workshops at the Formulary ( in the Pacific NW ). Sorry that those of you on the left coast missed them.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    So you've the left and right coast covered, what about the "middle coast" and "down coast"?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy;

Mark and France have the middle and down covered with workshops. Mark is going to WY next week and France has been to NM teaching. Mark has also been to MN (IIRC) within the last month. Of course he is about 2 decades younger than I am!

Take a workshop and then go into the teaching business yourself!

Others have done it!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is no excuse. If I can fly over from the UK and have a very enjoyable week, anyone can. It was a privilege to work with so many nice people in pleasant surroundings.

And of course at Eastman House which of course adds to the magic of the place. This is one of my attempts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastmanhouse001.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	66735
    Mark and Co. were great teachers guided of course by the Master!

Russ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06437.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	417.5 KB 
ID:	66733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06487.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	573.8 KB 
ID:	66734

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin