Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,594   Online: 843

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

Photographers' Formulary will be selling dropper bottles of erthyrosin(e) solution soon. It will be in a dilution standardized for emulsion sensitizing. Either Bud or I will let you know when it's ready to order. In about a month, The Light Farm will be posting two ortho recipes using the Formulary's solution. Other sources of erythrosin can be used, of course. It's not expensive (as these things go) but a very little goes a very long way and it can be a mess to mix up, so the Formulary is offering a great service to us.

A note about McCormick food dyes. The regular red color is not erythrosin (FD&C #3). It is made with #40, which is not a sensitizing dye. It is the McCormick "Neon" set that has Neon Pink, which is made with #3 and #40, that does the trick. http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/html...tent=18Jan2012

d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Depending on where you look, ingredients of the 'regular' McCormick red list FD&C 40 and sometimes FD&C 3 (erythrosine).

Read the label!
    Last edited by Hexavalent; 06-26-2013 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.btps.ca/files/PDF/MSDS/red_food_color.pdf

In addition to personal telephone confirmation by the lab folks at McCormick.

If by "depending on where you look" you mean random internet crap, yes, I'm sure you can find anything. Here's a lovely site that is case in point: http://grannyspantry.blogspot.com/20...colouring.html
    The numbers 3 and 40 are flipped even though the hyperlinked reference is correct.

I'm sure I couldn't say the sun rises in the east without you saying I'm wrong, Ian. "Why" is a mystery to me. Regardless, I'd hate to have people use McC red and fail to get an ortho emulsion. That just feeds the myth that making emulsions is too hard/random/unsatisfactory/expensive to even try.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I did not say, or mean to imply that you were wrong Denise. Perhaps grannyspantry.com is FOS - it's not the kind of website that I would trust for technical data.
    Did McCormick tell you what the ingredients of the Canadian products? They are quite often different - allowed food colourants are not the same in every country.

I agree that there is a plethora of false, misleading, incomplete, and sometimes dangerous information on the internet. Even many of the formulae and methodology for emulsion available on the internet fall under that banner.

Nor did I say or imply that emulsion making is difficult. Suggesting that people read a label to ensure that they are using the correct ingredient is not 'complicated'.
    Franky, anybody who doesn't read the fine print deserves to have a failed emulsion - having to pour silver down the drain is a firm teacher.

The biggest variable in making an emulsion is technique and accuracy. Kitchen-sink emulsions can indeed yield a nice looking image. Applying precision and controls to the exact same formulation can yield an excellent emulsion.

"Why" comes to my mind when you suggest that I'm trying to dissuade people from trying there hand at emulsion make. I do no such thing.
    Personally, I seek to create fine-grain, fast, fog-free, stable and repeatable emulsions - that is my goal, and to do so has required precision work.
    Boring old "AJ-12" can be boosted up to and likely beyond ISO 50, but to do so requires technical skills, and equipment that is not likely to be found in a kitchen store.

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    http://www.btps.ca/files/PDF/MSDS/red_food_color.pdf

In addition to personal telephone confirmation by the lab folks at McCormick.

If by "depending on where you look" you mean random internet crap, yes, I'm sure you can find anything. Here's a lovely site that is case in point: http://grannyspantry.blogspot.com/20...colouring.html
    The numbers 3 and 40 are flipped even though the hyperlinked reference is correct.

I'm sure I couldn't say the sun rises in the east without you saying I'm wrong, Ian. "Why" is a mystery to me. Regardless, I'd hate to have people use McC red and fail to get an ortho emulsion. That just feeds the myth that making emulsions is too hard/random/unsatisfactory/expensive to even try.
    Last edited by Hexavalent; 06-26-2013 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: atrocious grammar
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, I have 3 bottles of McCormick Red food coloring that list the ingredients as Red 40 and Red 3. They are a couple years old now and the current McCormick formula may have changed. Regardless, if you want to use food dye for emulsion purposes, I agree that the Neon coloring would be a better choice.

As an aside, the Red #3 food dye I got from the nice lady on eBay appears in all respects to be exactly the same as the Erythrosine B I ordered from Magancol in the UK. Have not done any emulsion test yet, which would be the real confirmation. However, my first ortho emulsion is sitting halfway done in the fridge now waiting to be noodle washed. (In other words, at this point I have not yet had a chance to try out ANY ortho emulsion just yet.)

I'm glad to see the Formulary is making the Erythrosine available. That really helps to take some of the angst out of the process for those interested in trying.

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Erythrosine Rose Bengal costs 1 dollar 1 gram or 320 dollar 1000 grams at China.
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 07-07-2013 at 06:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that this is not an outstanding green sensitizer. Baker suggests adding it at the start of the precipitation. It is adequate, but not outstanding. It is certainly inexpensive.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PE,

I sent 6 or 7 buying threads to www.alibaba.com dye section. 30 replies for all autochrome dyes , most expensive one 10 dollars per gram to cheapest one 25 cents for 1 gram. They are ready to ship ship loads of dyes , few others even wanted me to be their distribütör.

Amazing environment for business. I bought amazing copies of Ross Simon chronometer for few dollars including a Rado , Movado and Swatch replicas. Swatch replicas costs me 3 dollars each , original 60 dollars or faraway more. All postage is free !!!! also and registered.
    Some watches came and we amazed by quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Old thread, but it's also on eBay from a good reagent shop in Japan
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Erythrosi...item4cf62f4e85

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin