Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,557   Online: 782

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, dichotomous philosophical camps it is. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. I have to imagine you feel the same way. Viva la. Hopefully our two camps are yin and yang and not pushmepullyou!
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Still waiting the mailman to deliver the methyl violet and and milligram/gram scale, i have not yet been unable to try the sensitizition. Wondering how long you will have to keep the plates in chilled alcohol bath.. Well, one plate and exposure/processing at the time

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Any results, VesaL?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "Crusader Rabbit" Reporting back to duty! Has everyone forgotten about Sand's SDA3057? This stuff, suggested by PE about 5 years ago, really works. Pricy at about $400/gram after Convenience Fee and taxes. But TIME is money too. After spending some time with 2 cheaper red sensitive dyes, I am giving serious consideration to just suspending my search for a cheaper red sensitive dye and biting the bullet for $400.
    I am not getting younger and my research needs to be showing some images, not just talk.
    I have just finished taking a class in Layered glass fusing. I am gonna stop gluing my layers together and start fusing them together. This will require a reliable panchro emulsion.
    I will report more as I progress. But, for full color images I will need to abandon water color pigments in favor of fineable Frit. I intend to load a panchro emulsion with Cyan, magenta or yellow Frit. For those who are not familiar with Warm Glass Working, Frit is pigment dispersed in glass and ground. It is usually used in free hand art on glass, or screen printed on glass. But I intend to photo image it onto glass before firing it in 4-16 layers. I will be using Pt/Pd/Au for the grayscale portions of this work.
    Who would ever consider placing a piece of art on paper anyway? Paper belongs to the trees!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep that Sands dye alive guys.

Here is the big secret! It is the red sensitizer for KODACHROME! It is one of the few dyes that can survive development and still be active. So, someday, if there is a researcher who wants to recreate Kodachrome, this is the dye to use.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is the red sensitizer for KODACHROME!
    I was wondering if that wasn't the case. Not necessarily Kodachrome but one of the available films. On a related note, I have obtained a bit of 2718 from "THE LIST." Looking forward to trying it out.

Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello PE,
    I am still a bit confused about what appears to me to be a contradiction between your original recommendation of 200mg SDA3057 per mole of Ag and a latter statement that the dye should be used at 60 mg per mole of Ag. Because of J aggregations, the dye needs to be double coated over the particles of silver halide. Without the j aggregation, SDA3057 is just another green sensitive dye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

In practice, you must determine the best level of dye by trial and error. I always do a concentration series.

And, the amount varies from emulsion to emulsion and of course if you want J aggregation it takes 2x the amount, however if aggregation is going to take place it will and may only cover 1/2 of the emulsion. Therefore it is best in this case to optimize for the aggregate to form rather than some sort of mix.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    OK, Here I go again. Hexavalent and I are gonna get together on a gram of SDA3057. I will only ask once. Is anyone else interested?
    PE- I have been using SDE3008 as a green sensitive dye, in conjunction with the SDA3057. BUT(!) Making two different emulsions, one with 3057, the other with 3008, I have seen evidence of j aggregation with the 3008. The emulsion turns lavender, like with 3057. But it takes standing overnight for this color shift to happen,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, sensitize and then coat. Once dry it should be ok.

There are a number of solutions to this. I have not observed the 3009 aggregating, but then I sensitize and coat.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin