Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,525   Online: 847

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Or just two differently sensitized emulsion.
    Denise is having success with a one dye, panchro system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

A two dye panchro system will work due to the blue speed inherent in all AgX emulsions. In fact, with the right dye, a single dye panchro system is possible, but I have not found any good dyes on the open market for this type of work.

As for having achieved a given sensitivity, it is always useful to have separation exposures or wedge spectrograms to prove any given sensitivity. I learned that the hard way many many years ago.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Stock Solution

Now that I am finally getting to a point that I will be able to try out my small stock of Eastman 2718 (aka Stains-All) dye, what is a good stock solution? My plan is to make up a 25ml dropper bottle to use for my experiments. I was thinking about a 1% stock solution in ethanol. Here is my reasoning:

My emulsions almost always use 6g of AgNO3. At a molar mass of 169.87 for AgNO3, that gives 4% of a mole of silver. So if I was to use the dye at, say, 100mg / mole Ag, 6g AgNO3 would require 4mg of dye. (100mg/mole is a starting point. IDK what will actually work but 100mg make the numbers work out easier.)

A 1% solution of dye should contain 10mg dye per ml, so I could use 0.4ml stock solution or about 8 drops.

Sound OK?

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would use a more dilute solution so that you can measure it out more accurately. After all, 4 ml is easier to measure that 0.4 ml.

It is the word "about" that bothers me.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, that is a thought. I suppose the extra ethanol wouldn't hurt since I always add some at coating time anyway.

I should have added that this batch of dropper bottles I have has ml marking on the droppers and also since it is roughly 20 drops to the ml that is why I said about 8 drops.

I also have 1ml syringes.

Anyway, then it seems like I am thinking along the right lines? At the cost of this stuff I'd rather not mess it up! (Actually, what I have was pretty cheap, but to replace it won't be.)

Thank you for the info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are doing OK.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Jason,
    I am super-interested in your results regarding KODAK Stains-All. But is it something that can still be purchased? Do you have a structure for it?
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Stains-all is a fairly common histological dye with an impressive chemical name: 1-Ethyl-2-[3-(1-ethylnaphtho[1,2-d]thiazolin-2-ylidene)-2-methylpropenyl]naphtho[1,2-d]thiazolium bromide, 3,3′-Diethyl-9-methyl-4,5,4′,5′-dibenzothiacarbocyanine .

Whew! Stains-all is easier to pronounce. Note that it's a carbocyanine.

Sigma-Aldrich: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...g=en&region=US
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bill,

It'll be a little bit before I have results. First, I have to get the freakin mice out of my workshop and reorganize. It got cold all of a sudden and of course they all wanted to come inside!

Stains-all is readily available from a number of suppliers. There's Sigman and Fisher, of course, but Lab Depot, Chemsavers, and other such places list it as well. It sells in the range of $100/gram. Search under "Stains-All", not the impressive chemical name. The CAS Number is 7423-31-6.

I've started wondering if my doctor (as in MD) could order these histological dyes from their suppliers? He does some of his own lab work with microscopes, etc, for fun, I guess; he has a whole little lab setup in the back of his office building. Most of the dyes we are interested in have some use in that field as well.

-- Jason

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Jason,
    I may try to get some of this dye. I am currently doing more experiments with the Sands sda3057. Using it as a single, panchro dye. Should have some results by Saturday. If I get it to work, I will run with it, despite its high price. Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin