Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,978   Online: 978

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Active Chlorophyll

Hello PE et al,
    I have been reading about different methods of extracting chlorophyll from green vegetables to have a red sensitive dye that dose not cost over $600/g. I always use the bags of fresh baby spinach from the grocery. So far I have used isopropanol at 92% because it is widely and cheaply available. I have read of using acetone and heptane. I have also read of adding magnesium sulfate to the acetone. I am wondering, PE if you have experience or knowledge concerning extracting chlorophyll to be used as a red sensitizer.
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bill,

China is your friend , I posted a free buying thread at www.alibaba.com and dyes costs 1/50.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

Mark Osterman uses Ivy for his source of red sensitizer. IDK what solvent he uses, but I do know that once extracted it does not keep well and the sensitivity it gives to film is very weak.

Contact Mark.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks PE,
    If anyone is interested in a tested and working red sensitizer, SDA 3057 is $600/gram + convenience fee+tax+shiping. We did a 3 man order several months ago. I am the only guy who has run out again.. Anyone interested in a red sensitive dye that works, send me a private message. I believe that PE will confirm that this stuff works well. He is the one who put me onto it. Otherwise, I would not have a red sensitive emulsion at all.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi PE,
    Why would Ivy be better than spinach, or any other green vegetation? They both would contain chlorophyll a and b.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Bill,

You could culture some chlorella if you're really ambitious
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

The walls of GEH are covered in IVY!

IDK how you used that much sensitizing dye already. At about 40 - 60 mg / mole of silver that means that you have gone through a lot of silver.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PE,
    Because of the "j aggregation" thing I use considerably more Ag than that.. My earlier emulsions were 200mg/mole of silver. I have knocked that down to 150mg. It depends on grain size. But you were my guiding light in those days and my dye concentrations, accept for the reduction to 150mg, were at your advise.
    Also, the last shipment of sda3057 was split 3 ways and shared with two younger guys well on their way to becoming like me.. I just 2 days ago advised one of them on choosing a species of mantis. My influence will live long after I am no more.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I scewed up the first sentence! I intended to say 'I use considerably more DYE than that'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should not need that much or you lose speed. See the table in my book.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin