Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,352   Online: 835

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It appears it is the same guy, and he just joined today.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad---I thought he wanted to coat emulsion on dinner plates and print on them. Which I suppose could be an interesting idea, in its way, though I have no idea how safe it would be.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Very slightly apropos: the blue guy just died

Charley

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nag1253 View Post
    Please confirm that the silver coated paper plates can be used to serve hot food.My issue is like silver coated paper plates made with silver+plastic and harmful to health when serving hot food in it.Kindly clarify.....
    Perfectly safe when followed by a stout chaser of ammonium thiosufate. That should fix everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Silver, even in very small doses, is a poison to humans
    If you are referring to the medical condition called argyria the presence of silver in the body poses no health rise. This condition is evidenced by the skin turning blue in color. So people with this condition look very strange. Silver and most of its compounds are only slightly toxic to humans. Silver has strong antibacterial properties. For decades newborns had a small amount of silver nitrate solution instilled into their eyes to prevent any venereal disease of the mother from causing blindness in the infant. Recent research has indicated that very small amounts of silver vastly increase the efficiency of many antibiotics. This may solve the problem of antibiotic resistant microbes.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    It appears it is the same guy, and he just joined today.
    Is it a guy? He/she posted the same question twice within a minute at 7:30pm but the second post appears to have been removed. It was clear that a number of APUGers weren't clear as to what he/she was referring. His/her last activity I noted was almost 8:00pm and yet he/she didn't attempt to clarify his question which, given he/she has just joined seemed a strange introduction to APUG.

I suppose the same question twice might have just been a mistake. Pity that his/her nom de plume is "nag" which might just be a coincidence as well. However if he/she is serious about his/her intentions in joining a photographic forum I do hope he/she will try and clarify what he/she means by silver coated paper plates and what prompted this as his/her first post rather than a more pertinent one.

Call me cynical but I cannot help feeling we may have been "taken for a ride" just to see what reactions the question creates. Isn't this the kind of thing psychology students do to investigate "subjects'" reactions

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerald, we have to distinguish between silver-salts, plain metallic silver and metallic silver of the nano-scale. And in addition the different types of exposition. Things can get complicated by this.

Pentaxuser, I have no problem being taken for a ride in case that ride trickles my thinking. Not quite sure about that in this case though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Studies have confirmed that silver and its compounds are not particularly toxic. I cite the following monograph by the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/IRIS/subst/0099.htm

In actuality iron and it's compounds are more dangerous. As little as 20 mg per kg can cause serious poisoning. Iron poisoning is endemic in certain portions of Africa where the people subsist on a corn meal porridge cooked in iron pots.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-26-2013 at 12:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Very slightly apropos: the blue guy just died

Charley
    Charley, I am so sorry to hear this news.

I am certain OP is concerned about plates that are commonly available at department stores in the Birthday aisle, which I am quite certain contain no metallic silver.

I have hosted some holiday celebrations, notably the 4th of July (AKA Independence Day in the US). The plates were metallic silver, blue and red. And the guests who I served grilled chicken to have not turned blue.

I am confident that (despite lack of FDA oversight of production) these plates are safe to serve human food upon.

Shooter
    35mm
    As Bill Burk, I've seen paper and plastic plates with "silver" patterns in the "party shelves" of stores. I'd assume that the printed patterns are not real silver and are obviously food-safe. But there are always warnings on paper and most plastic utensils not to use them on heat or in a microwave. (Obviously. )

TBH, I'm not sure about the original question or why it's asked here. Surely the packaging or a phone call to the manufacturer would provide more useful information.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin