Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,723   Online: 739

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Perhaps now that the perceived existential threat to commercially available black-and-white films and papers has eased, maybe so has the panic? And with that some of the doomsday-driven interest in DIY at the emulsion level?

Lots of people have said that if doomsday ever came, they would just learn how to coat their own. But it now appears that doomsday never came. Not that there aren't lots of other valid non-doomsday reasons to do it. Just that the panic-driven one might now have subsided.

Just thinking out loud...

Ken
    I think you're right, but for me making an emulsion or an alt process print is more than just a last resort if Kodak fails, it's another tool that helps me create a vision. Some images are better served with commercial emulsions and some with homemade stuff imo. I also believe that photographers should have a basic understanding about the tools they are using. Take painters quiet a few make their own paint, or potters that make their own clay or at least know a lot about the product they are using compare them to photographers and it obvious that photographers know very little about their medium.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If someone has to discuss matters in a disguised manner, something is very wrong here. Rules or not, that is just plain wrong. Isn't this America? So the PC police are going to dictate what words can be used by people? Someone had better come to terms w/ the results of their actions. Seems self defeating to me. You can't learn anything by restricting people's vocabulary. That sort of thing never works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Perhaps now that the perceived existential threat to commercially available black-and-white films and papers has eased, maybe so has the panic? And with that some of the doomsday-driven interest in DIY at the emulsion level?

Lots of people have said that if doomsday ever came, they would just learn how to coat their own. But it now appears that doomsday never came. Not that there aren't lots of other valid non-doomsday reasons to do it. Just that the panic-driven one might now have subsided.

Just thinking out loud...

Ken
    I think this might be a part of it. And I feel like I've seen more threads on it in the last couple of years than in the first ones I was here.
    Count me as one who would love to try it, but who doesn't have time to take a class or put enough time into it to really know what I'm doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is quite timely. I started pulling together things to begin doing some emulsion making in early spring but as summer approached other things interfered. Now fall is here and winter is quickly approaching. Time to get back to it again. Maybe by next spring I will be ready to make some pictures.

I think I have most of the equipment so it is now time to begin picking up the materials. I will have to head back to the Light Farm to refresh my list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently brought up a thread on LFF about coating Dry Plates by hand, thinking that since the subject hadn't really been addressed there would be great interest. It landed with a quiet thud. But, I wasn't surprised. Since learning to coat plates I've perty much lost interest in using commercial film, which has been to my benefit. I would have no problem making my own emulsions if I could justify the labor and time that is required. Cost wise it seems to be about the same a using Liquid Light or an equivalent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Kinda strange when silly-season topics get an order of magnitude more discussion than actual emulsion making
    This bit is worth highlighting as I have also noticed an upsurge in nonsense threads on this forum in recent times. I wonder if it's the Facebook effect - where people feel compelled to post some irrelevant drivel everyday, under the impression perhaps that they are keeping the place lively. I would prefer to see less threads, but on more interesting and relevant topics, dry plate coating among them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi DannL,

Welcome to APUG! Would you consider re-starting your coating thread here? I do hope you also consider making your own emulsions someday. $-wise, homemade is a lot cheaper. Time-wise, of course you are right. Every step of d.i.y. does add time to a process.

I've come to think of all this as Slow Photography, done for all the reasons gardening and real cooking are done. I'm on the same page as MDR. Knowing your materials and process adds a whole new layer to the experience. Also nice to know that a paper or film will be available for as long as I want to make it, not for as long or short a time as some commercial interest decides they want to.

Pioneer: I hope you have a great winter of emulsion making!
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Academically interested, yes. Have time for; hell no! I can barely keep up with developing and scanning the photos I take on film that I don't need to manufacture myself, and I'm waaaay behind on printing. Adding another very-time-consuming process step is just not going to happen, especially when it's not going to get me quality anywhere near as good as commercial film stocks.

I do quite enjoy reading the threads about it that pop up here occasionally though.

Probably one day I will try carbon printing to see what the relief looks like, but that's probably about the limit for me smearing goop on stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Starting up a personal research-project on wet-plate these days, need to get the book first, then read, then figure out where to get the chemicals, after that, the materials (plates) and after that, the actual photographic equipment.

My impression is that wet/dry-plate is gaining popularity, specially for portraits etc (for potential buyers and clients).
    A lot of the photographers I know, would like to try it out, but the biggest issue is getting hold of the chemicals in these days of "war on terror" in every country in the western hemisphere. :/
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just wish I had more time. At least then I could dive headfirst into the topic and maybe learn something cool and useful. But I don't have it. Can barely find time to process film anymore, let alone proofing and printing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin