Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,032   Online: 733

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, I think that expanding a subject beyond a narrow interpretation of an original post is an excellent way to expand the overall understanding of the original post.

Gerald, rather than simply pointing out that "...it is important to distinguish..." perhaps you could elaborate with details. I know that MDR, Jason, and I understand the distinction, but perhaps you could educate others who might read this.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking for a hardener to replace chrome alum, glutaraldehyde is superb. It is often used as a sterilant by tattoo artists. 1 ml of a 2.5% solution will thoroughly harden 10 grams of gelatin (i.e. 100 ml of 10% gelatin solution).

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The problem with cadmium is that it's near impossible to get it in the EU and so are a lot of other products necessary for the production of serious emulsions
    Under the guise of safety and environment the EU is very anti chemistry and homebuild products (safety and environment my behind) In Austria I can't even get chromium alum.
    These sad facts are imo the main cause for the lack of interest in emulsion making in Europe we all like to do it but we can't. Aside from very simple emulsions that is.
    - Ian

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the tip. I currently use chrome alum from old crystal growing kits that I bought on Ebay but will look into Glutaralhyde.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin