Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,091   Posts: 1,635,949   Online: 851

Shooter
    Large Format

Ready-Made emulsion speeds?

I am curious as to what speeds are available in ready-made emulsions such as Liquid Light, etc? Primarily I would be interested in faster speed emulsions. I'm currently using Liquid Light at ISO 1 with good results.

I understand that by adding developer to an emulsion a speed increase may be realized. Does anybody know what ratios of what developers = what speeds?
    Last edited by DannL.; 10-16-2013 at 01:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi dannL

you might call rockland colloid and ask them.
    they might have data on that subject .. but from what i remember ...
    they stopped making that recommendation because it degraded the emulsion ( afterwards ) ...
    one way i have increased the speed of my emulsion is by letting it age a little bit.
    i have noticed it gets a bit more contrasty and speedy if it is older ...
    are you using it in the darkroom or as a negative-material ?
    depending on the outside light the speed changes .. more blue light the faster the emulsion is ...
    i did my best to try to figure out what time of year the most blue light is .. ( new england )
    and mid day ( 11-1pm ) without a cloud in the sky ... usually in the summertime
    BUT ...
    and you are making photographs in the snow/winter, you get reflected blue light as well as atmospheric ..

hopefully i haven't disinformed you too much !

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank's John. I'm coating glass plates for use in my cameras. The 5x7 camera is designed to be hand-held easily and I would like to "up the speed" of the plates so that I can use a faster shutter speed and smaller iris sizes.

If I could achieve ISO 100, that would be lovely. But, ISO 99 would be fine also . . . ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi again dannL

have you considered doing this:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ification.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ddl-speed.html

i've often considered hypering stuff, but haven't ...
    it seems like you can do it before or after

i guess you have to do it a few times to figure out exactly what the insanely fast speed would be!

i hope if you consider doing this you post your results !!

john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin