Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,922   Posts: 1,522,101   Online: 777

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neocyanine

Maybe a tattoo shop has some for little money it's used for some tattoo inks.
    This stuff? http://www.uoften.net/15ml-neocyanine-tattoo-ink.html

Can't see how it would work... could it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I'd have serious doubts that tattoo ink, even if called neocyanine would work as a sensitizer. Most "inks" are pigment-based rather than dyes, and there is the issue of what else is in the ink. Then again, it's cheap enough to try
    - Ian

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hexavalent my advice with tattoo shops was more along the line of since they sell pre made neocyanine ink they might sell pure neocyanine for the do it (mix it) yourself tattooist.

I found a UK source that sells dyes for laser applications http://www.photonicshop.co.uk/FE/pro...catid=&catid=7 (E7730) exact product page http://www.photonicshop.co.uk/FE/pro...il.asp?pid=151
    1g is 82 pounds.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've seen many of those laser dyes listed through other sources that won't sell to individuals. Many of them structurally appear that they would work, at least good enough to get an opinion from PE or someone that has more expertise than I do.
    Last edited by kb3lms; 12-20-2013 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a word of caution. IR sensitizing dyes are notoriously bad for keeping. So, make sure that you store it cold or frozen until use, then dissolve it in the solvent of choice and use it. The film, like most IR films is going to be a poor keeper too.

Now, this is relative to conventional dyes and films. They wont go bad over night.

PE

... and bloody expensive. I wonder how far a gram of neocyanine can be stretched?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Normal usage is about 25 - 100 mg per mole of Silver metal as analyzed in a coating. However, sensitizing by bathing a coating in the dye solution? All bets are off. Just remember that all dyes are desensitizers if used in excess and you can lose quite a bit of speed if not all of it by making a tiny error.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    deleted
    Last edited by ME Super; 12-20-2013 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Off-topic for an emulsion making forum. Sorry! didn't realize where this thread was.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    What about phthalocyanine dye? It's an IR sensitive dye used in the manufacture of CD-Rs.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generically, phthalocyanines are sensitizing dyes, but their effectiveness just as with other dyes must be determined by some means such as actually doing the experiment.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin