Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,659   Online: 875

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't use a paper filter. It removes all solids. Use a gold mesh filter.

If there is substantial residue, then the formula needs adjusting.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Photo Engineer:

Thank you! I've ordered the filter you mention and hopefully it's going to work.

m.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We can get them at our grocery store and a household goods store.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, so the filter arrived and when I filtered new badge there was almost no residue at all. I was very careful about the process; I managed to keep the recommended temperature +-5 degree. I applied 5 layers however, the results are still the same. As you can see in the image it looks quite awful. I am aware about the inconsistency but it isn't my biggest issue at the moment. What worries me is that I can't get any black at all. Cliveh and Wildbillbugman mentioned that I should use a different developer, but I am not sure if this is going to solve the problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	81518
    Last edited by martina.87; 02-04-2014 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does a light fogged sample developed in Dektol straight get black?

If so, then the addition time must be too slow, if not, then there is a problem with the formula. I'll look it over again.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martina.87 View Post
    I must add that I used 240 Bloom Pigskin Gelatin.

Martina
    Porcine gelatin may be part of the problem - it's a different animal (pun intended) than bovine gelatin. Was it pure or "food grade"?
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    PE: if you mean fogged sample of a real paper then yes, it turns black within 3 seconds. If you mean the paper I coated then it took about 60 seconds to get to the state as in the photo. Btw, I am using Ilford Multigrade 1:9.

Hexavalent: I checked the details of the gelatine and it is 'porcine', intended for confectionery and jellies. I wouldn't think that could matter as long as the bloom number is high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, turning black when fogged means that the emulsion can get there, but that the contrast is too low. That suggests that something is lowering the contrast.

How to up the contrast? Well, shorten the addition time of the Silver Nitrate as I said before, but then the pig gelatin may be a problem as often additives are put into the gelatin to alter its properties for the intended use. Bovine (cow) gelatin is more common for making. In terms of properties, the swell factor of each gelatin is different. Bovine gelatin swells more in the developer, while porcine gelatin swells more in the acid fixer or wash.

Hope these hints help.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    So if I understand correctly, the period of time during which I add solution B (silver nitrate) into the solution A needs to be shortened, right? The book 'silver gelatin' mentions it should take time of about ten minutes, but I will try to shorten it.

Regarding the Bovine gelatin: I live in the UK and I can't find any company that sells this particular product. However, I found that SILVERPRINT sells photo quality gelatin so I will order it from there.

Thank you very much to all of you guys for your amazing help. I really appreciate it!
    I will post any results one it is done.

martina

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martina;

FOTOIMPEX is a good source of photo grade bovine gelatin. They advertize it on their site. Rousselot in France is also a good source.

Addition time of Silver Nitrate controls speed and contrast. As contrast goes up, speed goes down.

I understand that not all of the formulas in the book you are using were tested in the first edition.

PE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin