Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,055   Online: 921

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coating rods

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film Needs about 300 mg / ft sq of silver, but paper needs 1/2 or less of that. This is the reason. You need dmax with film.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Cheers -

george

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One additional thought though. Mark, Nick and I spent a day trying to coat plates with rods and found an unusual ripple effect on our plates. They are working on this and I have to go over again in a few days to continue this work with them. We hope to get a handle on it.

PE

Actually, I push the gelatin around with my fingers now...
    Resorting to a cheap accessory, I use a comb from the dollar store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is excellent for the artsy look. We have done many things in our workshops at GEH.

However, nothing beats a blade or a rod for sheer quality. You can approach current production quality this way.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is an interesting issue. I'd even go so far as to say "problematic". By now, it is indisputable that handmade silver gelatin can be made to a quality where you can't tell it from commercial. What do we get for that fact? A big "ho hum". ASA 100 ortho roll film: "ho hum de dum". But make an absolutely craptastic wet plate and the crowd goes wild. If not for the fact that I'm a pathologically upbeat person , it would be depressing!

Maybe exactly what we need are more fingers and combs in the emulsion. Go for it, guys. Make a happy mess. You just might make a name for yourselves!
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have a very good point Denise. And, a surprise to you I am sure, I agree.

However, in all of our workshops, we let students finger paint, use brushes, rods, blades and etc. Just about anything goes and on many paper types, but the preference is always either a blade or a rod due to quality. So, HO HUM they may be, they are desired.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A threaded steel rod from the hardware store will work, too. I prefer the one with the color coded green paint on the ends, IIRC it is 3/16 inch.

Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems pretty heavy to me, but if it works, it works.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You have a very good point Denise. And, a surprise to you I am sure, I agree.

However, in all of our workshops, we let students finger paint, use brushes, rods, blades and etc. Just about anything goes and on many paper types, but the preference is always either a blade or a rod due to quality. So, HO HUM they may be, they are desired.

PE
    There's a type of art that I've seen around occasionally, where you enlarge to paper normally, but then just splash developer over the paper so it doesn't cover the entirety, you just get a Rorschach-shaped image. (not sure if there's a named-style for this, like there is for something like a Photogram).

Maybe there's just as much artistic-merit in simply painting the emulsion onto the plate/paper before exposure? Depending on how gloopy and sticky it is, you might be able to get some nice shapes out of it.

Scratch that, forget what I wrote, noone steal my idea. I'm going to get a paintbrush and a bottle of liquid-light on the way home, and get practising my chinese calligraphy...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin