Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,272   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coating rods

Shooter
    Large Format

Coating rods

I am collecting materials to give making AZO a try and one of the last things on my list of things to get is a coating rod. I found some at http://www.gardco.com/pages/applicat...wound_rods.cfm (most other places force one to request a quote, so I assume that they are looking to sell in bulk). The thing is that I am not sure which one would work best. Does anyone have a recommendation or a better source?

Cheers -

george

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    George,
    If they are the same coating rod as for pt/pd check with Bostick and Sullivan in Santa Fe, NM. I have gotten glass rods from them and they come in different sizes.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May I suggest this?
    http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/html...tent=22Jan2013 (and there's a lot more info previous to and after this page.)

Good luck and fun, whatever your technique!
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I initially posted that a puddle pusher would not work but have edited this post because it may. 35mm film is about 5mil in thickness and that is the clearance I need, so I may be able to place a strip on either side and place the puddle pusher over it, giving a 5mil clearance over the paper. A coating rod would be much easier (I have used one and it makes coating a cinch), but if I cannot figure out which size to get then I will be spinning my wheels.

Watching at the video it looks like the poster has something on either end of the puddle pusher - attaching 35mm film should allow for the required clearance.

Cheers -

george
    Last edited by GLSmyth; 04-07-2014 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    George,

Didn't Ron (PE) have a recommendation?

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I'll amend "suggest" to "beg". Please take a look here:

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Pape...atingPart3.htm

You are correct, of course. An unaltered puddle pusher only pushes the emulsion around. You need a gap between the paper and the coater. Wrapping tape around a glass rod creates a coating gap.

There are a number of reasons this works better than a wire-wrapped metal bar. Silver emulsion will eventually corrode even stainless steel. Glass is corrosion-proof. It's dimensionally stable. Puddle pushers are cheaper. They are far more adaptable to experimentation and different emulsions because you easily set a custom gap height with tape.

I don't even know how many acres of paper and film I have successfully coated, but it's a lot. I'm into my third pound of silver nitrate. I'm giving you good advice.
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George,

Nick informed me that the wirewound coating rod we used in the AZO workshop last month is the RDS #130 'gapped' rod. Theoretical coating thickness is 11.7mils, well outside of the 5 to 7mil range that was recommended by Ron. I asked Ron about this and he guessed that the #130 rod was chosen mostly because it was available and for no other particular reason. RDS has many other rods available. Their #56 rod is listed at 5.04 mil coating thickness and the #80 rod at 7.20 mil.

Here's a link to the RDS download page for specifications: http://www.rdspecialties.com/techinfo.html

Of course, a glass rod wrapped in tape might work just as well and cost a lot less.

Regards,

Lee Rust

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it possible there was a glitch in the communication? Coating thickness is considerably greater than final, dried-down thickness. 11-12 mil will dry down to 5 to 7 (generally, a good final thickness). I aim for a 10-12 mil gap. My guess is that's the reason the class went with the #130.
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Denise, the #130 wire wound rod with 11 mil gap worked fine and Ron's custom built edge coater with 5 mil gap also worked very well. Prints made from the thicker emulsion made with the rod did seem to have more contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee,
    That's the lovely thing about handcrafted. Each hand crafts as each heart desires. I favor the appearance that comes from a thicker coating of emulsion, but you make a really excellent point. There's a lot of wiggle room for technique and a lot of ways to get from Here to There.

I hope you and George and the others in the class post here soon and often. You could revitalize the joint!
    d
    Last edited by dwross; 04-07-2014 at 07:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: striving to learn to spell
    www.thelightfarm.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin