Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,455   Posts: 1,597,271   Online: 1256

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making film

Shooter
    35mm

Making film

As I'm sure many of you have a camera that uses film no longer available, be it 127 or some other.
    I have a couple of 127 kodaks that I really want to use.
    I watched a very useful video on cutting 120 down with a cigar cutter to fit a 127 spool, but I would like to make the film myself, I can get a supplier for the film base, but what would be the best film emulsion recipe that I could use for the film, and how would I coat the film?
    cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go and have a look at this excellent website. The LLight Farm

Everything you need to know

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are a couple of 127 films still made, freestyle and macodirect sell them. Not a lot of range though...

If you really want to make film, that's a huge adventure. Best to start with plates though as it's much easier to coat a rigid surface than a flexible one. A film-coating machine is a non-trivial piece of equipment, whereas you can coat plates by hand and shoot them in a large format camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adventure, to be sure. "Huge"? Not so sure about that, unless you're talking about all the fun getting out and about and using your film . Interesting coincidence -- I'm photo'ing today with my Yashica 44 at our Buccaneer Rampage Mud and Obstacle Race. It's a total hoot.

Thanks for posting the Light Farm link, Ian!

Tobychrome: No need at all for film coating machines. Here are three pages that talk specifically about making roll film: http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/html...tent=24Jul2013

Those pages are part of a whole emulsion making series, so for more information go back to the beginning. Good luck and fun! Welcome to APUG!

d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    as always thanks for your posts denise !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quick follow-up on handmade film in a Yashica 44 (127 mm): I hadn't had the little darlin' out in a while. I had a great time with the camera. It handles easily, but I totally forgot that it is advisable to have along reading glasses. The camera's view screen is very small. Handheld action photography is a challenge! (at least for me.) The negative is only 1.5 inches square, so with the grain that comes with faster film (~64) the enlargements look very retro. I personally love the smooth-as-silk look of slow film, but you can't photo pirates racing through the mud with slow film! To get a decent depth of field (f/8) when the UV levels are starting to retreat again for the winter, I could only get 1/50 sec speed. That's fast enough for shooting without a tripod and for normal movement, but not quite fast enough to stop really fast motion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yashica44andD-comp.jpg   BuccaneerRampage2014-3.jpg   BuccaneerRampage2014-2.jpg   BuccaneerRampage2014-1.jpg  
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot resist (even if I should)...

Denise, don't you think the results look a bit muddy?

(actually, I think they look great!).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha! I've lived for decades with a hopeless punner and I didn't see that one coming! Excellent. (and Thanks!)
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Quick follow-up on handmade film in a Yashica 44 (127 mm): I hadn't had the little darlin' out in a while. I had a great time with the camera. It handles easily, but I totally forgot that it is advisable to have along reading glasses. The camera's view screen is very small. Handheld action photography is a challenge! (at least for me.) The negative is only 1.5 inches square, so with the grain that comes with faster film (~64) the enlargements look very retro. I personally love the smooth-as-silk look of slow film, but you can't photo pirates racing through the mud with slow film! To get a decent depth of field (f/8) when the UV levels are starting to retreat again for the winter, I could only get 1/50 sec speed. That's fast enough for shooting without a tripod and for normal movement, but not quite fast enough to stop really fast motion.
    Hats off!
    This is great!
    Regards,
    Georg

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, that's amazing.
    was the film hard to make?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin