Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,387   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Come on people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PLEASE DON'T STOP!!

This is the most fascinating reading on the site!!
    It's a mind opener! I've always wondered how film was made.
    Might even try to do it myself.

Is it a dye that sensitizes a film for infrared? If so, what is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well in honor of Ron (who has the patience of a saint in lieu of my incessant questions) here's an experiment I made a while ago. Its Rockland Ag+ on glass exposed at about ISO 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liquid emulsion experiment.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am just watching and waiting, asking the occasional question. Salt prints and (maybe) oil transfers are first things on the list right now. But the coating blades are definitely interesting: when, where and what cost?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too have been reading these with interest and the possibility of trying something at some time. Whilst I agree with Bruce that it appears pointless to do when you can buy perfectly good paper in the shops, there is always the sense of pride (and perhaps surprise) in having made something yourself which actually works.
    This is the same reason that I tried Caffenol developer last week despite having bottles of Ilfosol and LC29 in the cupboard and the same reason I have built my own guitars and various other items despite the availability of similar items made by more qualified/competent craftsmen.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Ok, I for one can't imagine why I would want to make my own silver-gelatin paper when there are so many to choose from being made by companies who seem to know what they're doing.
    When Ilford or Forte or any of the manufacturers are doing so much better than I believe I could why bother?
    Maybe it's the same reason why I can't imagine developing and printing my own film anymore. There are many labs and printers to choose from that know what they are doing better than me. Folks like Bob Carnie at Elevator can develop and print so much better than I beleive I could, why bother?

None the less, I read every one of PE's threads and will be reading this forum too. I find it fascinating.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Hey, I know there are people out there making and coating emulsions. Here it is, Sean created this forum and I've been posting and waiting for others to step forward.

My next planned post is to compare the Baker emulsion to a modern emulsion. It will appear as soon as others start to post here. Lets see your efforts!

PE
    g'day Photo,
    i'm not sure i understand your anguish

you 'seem' to have an obsession with doing this work, but do you now resent no one else is doing similar?

by 'making and coating emulsions', do you mean other than liquid light, pt/pd, cyanotype etc?

may be it's just too hard?

or is the difficulty the attraction?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 25asa
    PLEASE DON'T STOP!!

This is the most fascinating reading on the site!!
    It's a mind opener! I've always wondered how film was made.
    Might even try to do it myself.

Is it a dye that sensitizes a film for infrared? If so, what is it?
    Yes, a dye sensitizes the film. A particular dye is selected for each major region of the spectrum from blue to green to red to infrared.

These are probably the most costly and hard to get of all of the ingredients used to make emulsions.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan on getting emersed up past my eyeballs into this in the near future. I just don't have the time, nor the experience or the training yet. Never fear big mouth will contribute once I get going.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    g'day Photo,
    i'm not sure i understand your anguish

you 'seem' to have an obsession with doing this work, but do you now resent no one else is doing similar?

by 'making and coating emulsions', do you mean other than liquid light, pt/pd, cyanotype etc?

may be it's just too hard?

or is the difficulty the attraction?
    No anguish at all Ray.

I just don't want to be alone posting here.

I know that there are people out there making emulsions. I am encouraging them to post.

I appreciate all of your comments, but the limelight should be shared by all emulsion makers and coaters, whatever method they use.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Ok, I for one can't imagine why I would want to make my own silver-gelatin paper when there are so many to choose from being made by companies who seem to know what they're doing.
    When Ilford or Forte or any of the manufacturers are doing so much better than I believe I could why bother?
    I am only speaking of what CAN be bought in a store like J&C or B&H or FreeStyle. I'm not talking about Platium or Alt Process papers that are not manufactured.
    Maybe I'm missing the point, could be.
    Bruce;

Many of the students in my first class were Azo enthusiasts. One of my emulsions seems to be a pretty fair duplicate. Well, according to one individual there it is better than Azo. He has made a post to that effect on APUG.

So, there is one reason / product to do this.

Since I am aiming at the 30s - 50s look, I will even try to remake some of the old popular films that some are so fond of, but are no longer made.

Is that reason enough for you?

PE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin