Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,667   Posts: 1,481,719   Online: 833

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Alcohol in gelatin solutions

Ron,

Do you use alcohol in any of your emulsions?

I am curious to know if the addition of small amounts of alcoho in a gelatin solution would cause any hardening.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Ron,

Do you use alcohol in any of your emulsions?

I am curious to know if the addition of small amounts of alcoho in a gelatin solution would cause any hardening.

Sandy

Sandy;

I don't personally use it, but it was the surfactant of choice in the early years of coating silver halide emulsions. Plate coaters used it very much.

If you wish to use it, I suggest Everclear. I can give you specific amounts if you decide to try it.

See you this spring? I'm on the week before you this year.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sandy;

I don't personally use it, but it was the surfactant of choice in the early years of coating silver halide emulsions. Plate coaters used it very much.

If you wish to use it, I suggest Everclear. I can give you specific amounts if you decide to try it.

See you this spring? I'm on the week before you this year.

PE
    Ron,

I am scheduled June 10-15. Hope to see you again.

Thanks for the comment about the alcohol. I use it as a surfactant in making carbon tissue and was just wondering if it had any long term hardening effect. I have not noticed any, but thought I would ask.

Have you though any more about a carbon tissue coater? I just had a real messy session coating with the rod and it made me think of the project.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Ron,

I am scheduled June 10-15. Hope to see you again.

Thanks for the comment about the alcohol. I use it as a surfactant in making carbon tissue and was just wondering if it had any long term hardening effect. I have not noticed any, but thought I would ask.

Have you though any more about a carbon tissue coater? I just had a real messy session coating with the rod and it made me think of the project.

Best,

Sandy
    Sandy;

Alcohols will not harden emulsions. They are mild surfactants, and the activity as a surfactant increases as the number of alcohol groups goes up on a molecule. Glycerine has 2 effects, one as a mild surfactant and another as a humectant. Sorbitol is another alcohol that can be used.

I have not been able to design an inexpensive carbon coater Sandy. Still thinking about it though.

I'll be at the Formulary from the 3rd - 8th teaching. I may be able to stay until you arrive.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jello Shooters ?

I always wondered how that worked.

Shooter
    35mm
    Generally speaking I find if I have my Jello first and my vodka second that I am more satisfied with the fullness of my skin.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sherry Trifle

"It is not known who first came up with the idea of combining jelly with cake soaked in sherry..."

Shooter
    35mm
    In that case Helen I am going to visit the Patent Office application in hand. Thank you for the tip.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin